Novelty Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MTViper

MTViper

A lot of new pen kits have come onto the market in recent months. Some of them are really neat and some are not so neat. I have to admit, I am a sucker for some of them. Here are a few I've been turning recently. ..

The Fireman pens are from Berea as are the Thin Red Line blanks. One of these is for a nephew who's a fireman. The other is a spare that I'll give to a retired fire fighter.

The P-40 pens are just for grins. I flew fighters for 20 years. Two of those years were in a squadron descended from the Flying Tigers. I couldn't resist them. I wish the writing mechanism used a Parker insert instead of the mini-ballpoint, but I won't do much writing with it anyway.

Attachments

• TRL Small.jpg
    TRL Small.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 403
  • P-40 Small.jpg
    P-40 Small.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 455
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MTViper

Novelty pt 2

The two Easter pens are Nomad kits from Bear Tooth Woods. I also got the Easter blanks from them. The photos don't do them justice. These are beautiful blanks. I also have 2 Sierra Stylus pens with the same blanks on them.

The Purple Ribbon pens are for my daughter-in-law who has epilepsy. Purple is the ribbon for support. There is one Nomad and 2 Sierra Stylus. One is for my daughter-in-law, one for her doc, and one for her support group leader. Got the blanks from Bear Tooth Woods. Thanks Ernie.

Attachments

• Easter Small.jpg
    Easter Small.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 281
  • Sierra Purple Small.jpg
    Sierra Purple Small.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 290

MTViper

These are the Woodcraft Survival pens. I just happened on this kit in the recent flyer and decided to give it a try. It's interesting. The blanks are red and gray Dymalux from Cousineau Wood Products. I love turning this stuff. Don't even need to polish it, Micro Mesh shines it right up.

This pen has a window breaker on the cap and a fire started in the other end (Photo 2). Supposedly you use the clip as a striker. Haven't been able to get a spark yet. It does write well, but it's heavy.

Attachments

• Survival01 Small.jpg
    Survival01 Small.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 267
  • Survival02 Small.jpg
    Survival02 Small.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 261

MTViper

My oldest son is an Army Infantry Officer in command of a combined arms battalion. Instead of walking, he gets to ride in a tank. I couldn't resist these. This was my practice pen. I'll make the other two I have for him and for his Command Sergeant Major. I've got a scroll saw buddy making a desk display for them that has the unit designation on it. I may have them engraved. I haven't decided yet.

Like most things in the military today, their tanks are painted desert camo. I don't like the acrylic desert camo blanks I've seen, so I used a Wild Turkey barrel stave blank. Looks close enough to the desert paint job to me.

Thanks for looking. Comments welcome.

Attachments

• Tank01 Small.jpg
    Tank01 Small.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 272

OZturner

A Great Selection of Pens, Steve.
Thanks for showing some of the New to Market Pens,
Gives us Down Under Guys a chance to se what they look like other than the promo photo's.
Excellent Work, for Worthy Recipients.
Congratulations,
Brian.

robutacion

I have to admit, I have never seen most of those new kits and It's crazy the number of new kits that have become available these last year or so, who is making all these new kits...?

Some very nice pen amongst that lot...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

magpens

Steve,

Thanks for showing these new pen kits ... you have done a great job !!!

Did you paint the nib end of the P-40 pen or did it come that way ?

I checked the Woodcraft site and found the kit there but the nib seemed to be unpainted.

It is a pity that the listing does not state that the refill is the mini type but maybe all the wrist-flick kits are the same in that respect.

Last edited:

MTViper

Did you paint the nib end of the P-40 pen or did it come that way ?

It is a pity that the listing does not state that the refill is the mini type but maybe all the wrist-flick kits are the same in that respect.

The kit came with the shark's teeth and eyes painted on it. The P-40 page on the Woodcraft site has 2 pictures of the kit. You have to move to the second view to see the teeth. I agree it should be apparent that this uses the mini refill. I read the instructions before I bought the pens so I knew in advance. I wasn't sure how the wrist-flick system worked. So I was aware before I bought.

My oldest son is an Army Infantry Officer in command of a combined arms battalion. Instead of walking, he gets to ride in a tank. I couldn't resist these. This was my practice pen. I'll make the other two I have for him and for his Command Sergeant Major. I've got a scroll saw buddy making a desk display for them that has the unit designation on it. I may have them engraved. I haven't decided yet.

Like most things in the military today, their tanks are painted desert camo. I don't like the acrylic desert camo blanks I've seen, so I used a Wild Turkey barrel stave blank. Looks close enough to the desert paint job to me.

Thanks for looking. Comments welcome.

I just made one and I thought I screwed up as there is a slight gap between the blank and front of the nib end. I guess I shouldn't stress over it now.

MTViper

Nice pens for worthy causes, past and present. Wish they had a kit for the old C-47.

Speaking of C-47s, got to visit the War Eagles Museum in Santa Teresa, NM (near El Paso) this week. They have a beautiful C-47, still in flyable condition. I was always told that when they fly the last airplane in the world to the airplane boneyard, they'll turn around and fly back in a C-47.

Top Bottom