NOVA DVR questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wizical

Im getting close to buy my new lathe, but i have a question about the NOVA DVR.

1) besides turning pens, I do bowls as well, I want to know if I will have a problem with the lathe walking or do i need to weigh the lathe down more. This is a deciding factor in my purchase.

let me know, thanks for everything

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
When I bought my NOVA DVR, I purchased it without the stand. Then built myself a very heavy very long workbench and then added even more weight on a shelf underneath.

Someone else here posted a pic of a very awesome homemade metal stand.

If yours comes with a stand, which one did you get..?

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I bought one of the last regular DVRs sold by Woodcraft right when the XP was coming out. They made me a sweet deal, $1,400 including the stand and an extension:). This is the metal stand, not the cast iron they sell now. I built a shelf across the bottom, enclosed it, and added 400# of bagged sand. It was very easy to do and I thoroghly LOVE the lathe. It is worth it to have to add the weight to not have to deal with belts, etc. I turn a lot of large bowls and platters with some really off balance stuff and mine does not move at all. Here is a picture of my stand set-up:

Image Insert:
2007224194620_s10.jpg

Image Insert:
200610292077_Lathe1.jpg

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Rifleman1776

Other forums I belong to often talk about the need to build a heavy stand for the Nova. That is it's big downside.

Frank,

Are you speaking from experience or just passing along second hand, questionable information?

If you were going to take the time to build a stand would you make it out of 1 x 4's? I think not. The main idea with ANY lathe is to build a heavy stand to reduce vibration. Many folks do this by putting a shelf under the lathe stand and filling it with several bags of sand. BTW, the Universal stand has built in flanges that are intended for a plywood shelf. here is a quote from the manufacturer..."The legs have an extra flange bent on the inside to allow you to insert a piece of plywood creating a "boxed" leg which can be filled with sand for extra vibration dampening."

Yep the DVR is not a very heavy lathe and if you turn something that is not balanced at too many RPM's it will dance across the floor as any other lathe of this size would do. When I first bought my DVR I picked up the pressed sheet steel "universal" stand that came with it and turned a 24" platter with no problems at all. You start at a suitable RPM. I have since attached it to a bench, not because it walked in the shop but because I have the bed extension and the outboard toolrest attachment, making the "universal" stand too short.

One final thought.....

The DVR weighs 181 lbs. This weight does not include the weight of the "universal" stand (Which BTW is another 64 lbs). The Grizzly & Jet lathes with 14 & 16" swing have listed weights in the neighborhood of 300 lbs. this INCLUDES THE WEIGHT OF THE CAST IRON LEGS. I believe that if you exclude the legs you might find that the difference in weights between these lathes would be in the 30 to 40 pound range.

I have not found the weight of the lathe to be a downside, Matter of fact I found it to be an advantage bringing the lathe into my shop by myself. Adding weight after it is set in place is very easy. Carrying a heavy lathe around is not.

R2

I wouldn't let the fact that you have to find a way to suitably anchor the Nova put me off.Any lathe needs proper anchoring. The Nova is such a great lathe at the price a few dollars more shouldn't worry you if you need to build a bench or stand.

R2

I wouldn't let the fact that you have to find a way to suitably anchor the Nova put me off.Any lathe needs proper anchoring. The Nova is such a great lathe at the price a few dollars more shouldn't worry you if you need to build a bench or stand.

vick

Kevin's stand is the nicest I have ever seen for a DVR. It is very heavy and I have seen him turn some big stuff with it.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Blind_Squirrel

I have done small bowls on my Nova with no problems.

Small bowls can be done on almost any spinny machine. But a lathe in the class of Nova should be able to handle larger, out of balance, blanks with no problem. They are well engineered lathes but the light weight limits their versatility. I recently bought a new lathe and the Nova was quickly eliminated from the possibilities because of this limitation.

Rifleman1776

Scott, I said what I said. I referred to what I have seen on other forums. I'll add, a friend has a Nova, he had to build a heavy base to keep his in one place while turning. Yes, IMHO, the light weight and spindly legs are downsides. BTW, my new Grizzly G0632 is about 400 pounds, naked. I had two 60# sand bags from my old lathe and put those on a shelf between the legs. Massiveness and weight are universally seen as indicators of quality.

Originally posted by Mudder

Other forums I belong to often talk about the need to build a heavy stand for the Nova. That is it's big downside.

Frank,

Are you speaking from experience or just passing along second hand, questionable information?

If you were going to take the time to build a stand would you make it out of 1 x 4's? I think not. The main idea with ANY lathe is to build a heavy stand to reduce vibration. Many folks do this by putting a shelf under the lathe stand and filling it with several bags of sand. BTW, the Universal stand has built in flanges that are intended for a plywood shelf. here is a quote from the manufacturer..."The legs have an extra flange bent on the inside to allow you to insert a piece of plywood creating a "boxed" leg which can be filled with sand for extra vibration dampening."

Yep the DVR is not a very heavy lathe and if you turn something that is not balanced at too many RPM's it will dance across the floor as any other lathe of this size would do. When I first bought my DVR I picked up the pressed sheet steel "universal" stand that came with it and turned a 24" platter with no problems at all. You start at a suitable RPM. I have since attached it to a bench, not because it walked in the shop but because I have the bed extension and the outboard toolrest attachment, making the "universal" stand too short.

One final thought.....

The DVR weighs 181 lbs. This weight does not include the weight of the "universal" stand (Which BTW is another 64 lbs). The Grizzly & Jet lathes with 14 & 16" swing have listed weights in the neighborhood of 300 lbs. this INCLUDES THE WEIGHT OF THE CAST IRON LEGS. I believe that if you exclude the legs you might find that the difference in weights between these lathes would be in the 30 to 40 pound range.

I have not found the weight of the lathe to be a downside, Matter of fact I found it to be an advantage bringing the lathe into my shop by myself. Adding weight after it is set in place is very easy. Carrying a heavy lathe around is not.

M

Mudder

Massiveness and weight are universally seen as indicators of quality.

Given that statement we should be driving cars that weigh 15000 pounds, carrying cell phones that weigh 30 pounds and are as big as a loaf of bread. Our television sets should take up half the room and we should need to add on the the house to make room for our computers.

To each his own.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by penhead

And my wife has been commenting that I am overweight...hah...now I can explain to her it's just a better quality..:D

Massiveness and weight are universally seen as indicators of quality.

Yep,

Being 6' tall and nearly 3 bills I guess I just scream quality

Where is my "Right said Fred" records.

"I'm too sexy for this thread, Too sexy for this thread, So sexy it hurts"

Top Bottom