Nouveau Sceptre and Red with Gold Truestone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ruby pen turning

This is one of my first high end kits. It was supposed to be a burl wood, but there were voids that I filled with CA and it just did not look good, any suggestions? Anyhoo I used red Truestone with gold matrix sanded then polished with plastic wax.
Any comments good or bad welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_3222.jpg
    IMG_3222.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_3220.jpg
    IMG_3220.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_3221.jpg
    IMG_3221.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 154
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

I like the looks of your pen. You did a fine job with the fit. The config of the cap for this kit lends itself to variety shapes (more than most kits), and the shape you selected is unique and appealing. Nice work!

toolcrazy

Not sure about the kit, but I like the blank. It is still a very nice pen.

Filling burl voids with CA and coffee grounds really looks cool. Or you can find a filler that matches the look of the wood. CA alone only looks good if you get a good smooth surface almost like the burl was cast in PR.

nava1uni

Nice looking pen. I would turn down the burl and then if there are voids you could fill them with something like ground turquoise, coral or another substance.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
That's a great looking pen! I haven't seen that style done, personally. I thought it would be rather unbalanced - "top heavy." But the way you turned it makes it looks very nice and well balanced. Great job.

You've already got plenty of sugesstions about burls with voids. Give it a shot. You might find it easier than you think.

Top Bottom