Not Real Woodworking

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Band Saw Box

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Some 5 years ago I was showing off this project. It was a special request from my daughter in law. She saw a bigger one I had made but wanted on smaller. A customer ask me how I did it and I told him it cut it on my scroll saw. He said "You know that's not real woodworking your just following the lines of a pattern"

So I showed him the picture of the footed candy disk ( the picture above my name) I also made and ask him if this was more like real woodworking. He said "Yes a nice turning, that real woodworking it takes talent to do that" He was very surprised to learn that it too was made with a scroll saw and a bowl sander. He changed this mind about scroll sawing being real woodworking. He saw me the other day and told me he how owns a scroll saw and lovers working on it.

Attachments

• Paduck basket (1).jpg
    Paduck basket (1).jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joe S.

It takes a lot of talent to "follow the lines of a pattern". I hereby label that customer a jerk. That is a nice scrolled bowl, very nice real woodworking!

dankc908

My enjoyment of woodworking began with the scroll saw and I'm going to do more with it and less on the lathe for, at least, the near future! Your bowls definitely inspire me to do more!

Dan (Another Dan!)

GaryMGg

Nice work.
Is the footed candy dish primarily a series of larger and larger concentric circles?
I'm just starting to play with the scroll saw.
Thanks.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks for all the comments. The bowl is cut from rings that are cut at an 40 deg. angle left side of the table down. It was make from a bamboo cutting board that I cut the lighter end parts off and the rest in a octagon. Then I glued the lighter parts to the octagon two pieces at a time and trimmed to match the octagon angle. The pattern are in a book called " Wooden Bowls form the Scroll Saw by Carole Rothman. The book has a lot of great projects from very simple to complex. You'll need a bowl sander that can mount in a drill press to sand in sides and you can use a bench top belt sander to for the out side. They are a lot of fun to make and you may even learn to enjoy sanding, with these bowls if like opening a gift you sand away the rough rings to find a beautiful bowl or dish inside. The book by Carole is well worth the money. I'll post some other pictures of projects I've made from the book when I can find them.

Last edited:

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
This is a project called a Ginger Jar. It was made for cherry with a base of walnut. This project too about 2 hours to sand. The small light colored bowl was made from aspen and was one of the first bowls I made form the book. The larger bowl was made for cocobolo. The piece I had was to small to get a bowl out of so I had to do a glue up. This was a hard project to cut and sand but worth the effort. Any and all comments are welcome.

Attachments

• 0208111702 (1).jpg
    0208111702 (1).jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    169 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    183.2 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    166.8 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks everyone for your comments on my projects. I'm hoping I'm able to turns great pens as well when I get everything I need together. I'm fairly sure I can and I sure I'll be able to get lots of help from the forums here as I did over at scrollsawer.

Top Bottom