Not another PEN PRESS

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood-of-1kind

Here's a versatile tool that is probably living in your workshop and you may never know of it's true value. It's your common 'pipe clamp' that is just dying to show that it can do so much more than clamp. By mating a flange and attaching it to a stable base (wood block in my case), simply attach the desired pipe length in a vertical position. And voila, instant pen press!!!! The amount of pressure that you can exert is incredible, yet you can gently adjust the brute force with a slight rotation of your hand. Cushion the impact even further by attaching a 'soft' material between the steel jaws. Once you're done pressing your pen parts together, simply unscrew the pipe from the flange and it's restored back to a regular clamp. Good value for any newbie starting out or where funds may be 'tight'(pun intended[:eek:)]).

-Peter-:)

200792523843_P1010003.jpg

2007925231022_P1010001.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred

Peter, Just imagine the length of pens one could press ... limitless! Well almost limitless!

Good idea you have shown here, Peter. Have you ever tried using your drill press? That works as well! [:D]

Dave_M

I've been using my Jorgensen clamp as a pen press and it's worked great so far. I might give the pipe a try. It seems like it would be a little simpler to use compared to tightening down a Jorgensen clamp and keeping everything in alignment.

richs

Peter, just wanted to thank you for posting this tip. As a newbie with limited funds, I've been avoiding purchasing a pen press and have been struggling with using my Irwin hand clamps with only limited success. This pipe-clamp idea has worked great for me and cost me nothing since they were a hand-me-down gift from a relative! [:D]

wood-of-1kind

Originally posted by richs
<br />Peter, just wanted to thank you for posting this tip. As a newbie with limited funds, I've been avoiding purchasing a pen press and have been struggling with using my Irwin hand clamps with only limited success. This pipe-clamp idea has worked great for me and cost me nothing since they were a hand-me-down gift from a relative! [:D]

Glad that it's been useful. Keep reading the posts submitted by our members here and not only will you save money but you will get a lot of creative ideas for designs. By the way, welcome to the IAP.

-Peter-[:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom