Not All CA Is Created Equal....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GregHaugen

I've used a few different brands of CA. Strengths definately vary greatly. I'm curious if you have a preferred brand of CA and if so which one?

Thanks.
Greg H.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joe L

Hi Greg... I've had difficulty using CA ... I guess I am not fast enough before it sets. I use Grizzley. Does foam, but I am not duplicating or turning out volume works, so it's fine for me to let the blanks sit for several hours (usually a day), then just clip (wood chisel) off the foam at the tube ends. Use dentist pink sheet to fill tube ends... eliminates any glue inside tube. Quick pen mill to square ends and I'm ready for the next step. My CA experiences are filled with sticking fingers and all sorts of comic visual laughs<grin>. I think CA should have instruction..."You gotta be quick!" <grin>
-joe L

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Hi Greg... I've had difficulty using CA ... I guess I am not fast enough before it sets. I use Grizzley. Does foam, but I am not duplicating or turning out volume works, so it's fine for me to let the blanks sit for several hours (usually a day), then just clip (wood chisel) off the foam at the tube ends. Use dentist pink sheet to fill tube ends... eliminates any glue inside tube. Quick pen mill to square ends and I'm ready for the next step. My CA experiences are filled with sticking fingers and all sorts of comic visual laughs<grin>. I think CA should have instruction..."You gotta be quick!" <grin>
-joe L
Foaming CA? sure you are not talking about poly glues?

GregHaugen

Joe L, Do you mean Gorilla? A substitute that I've found for Gorilla is Sumo by Loctite. Craft Supplies sells it but so does Menard's stores. Maybe even Lowes, I haven't checked. It does foam but only a little, just as much as you'd want but not a mess all over. If you ever see it, give it a try. It's cheaper also. I don't use it often but it's nice to have an "alternative".

CA does sometimes needs speed. The main thing to keep in mind is "thin" will set the fastest, than "Medium" than "Thick" being the slowest setting. I use think more for a "sealing" coat for a non-stabilized wood or stiffening up an area that may need it like on coffee bean in casts. Medium, I use for a CA finish, as well as sometime for gluing tubes. I use thick to repair holes or voids in a pen blank and also to glue tubes sometimes. I find a set of 3 is a "must" in a pen maker's tool box. There are just things that can't be done with anythig else. Also buying "debonder" is a waste. Just buy a quart of acetone, same thing and alot more for your "buck."

Greg H.

george

I mainly use Instabond by CSUSA and also Hot stuff glues. I have tried also with some German made glues (thin, medium and thick), but only thin worked quite OK. Other 2 was pure mess.

Top Bottom