Not a wood pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DCBluesman

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Those who've been around awhile know that I prefer wood to any other pen making material. I do, however, turn other materials from time to time. This is the Heritage 1200 in Cumberland (ebonite). It's dimensions are 6.5" closed, 61 grams, the pen tapers from 0.75" to 0.65" inches in diameter.

20074613916_NormandLCumberlandClosed.jpg

20074613941_NormandLCumberland.jpg

Thanks to all who look, particularly those who add comments.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

That's pretty Lou. You did a great job getting all the fine scratches out - that stuff can be difficult to work with from that perspective.

I have some solid black Ebonite (I think that's what it is) that I'm working with on a special project, and MAN does that stuff stink! Does the Cumberland smell as bad as the Ebonite? If so, I may have some you can buy!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
That pretty cool Lou. I think thats the first time I've seen that material. It looks almost like wood too, to me anyway[:D]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thanks for all of the kind words! Jim - Yes, Cumberland smells exactly like the black ebonite. It is, after all, vulcanized rubber. I'm sure we can work out a swap for any surplus you want to move! For those of you who might like to try this material, you can get it at www.pipemakers.org .

BigRob777

Lou,
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!!! I didn't know they made ebonite like that. Or is it one of your special paint jobs? I guess you would have mentioned that by now. Really nice pen. I never did do that ebonite buy that I was thinking about.
Rob

Hi Lou,

I have always liked your pens in the past, this one is very special, I like it a lot, your pictures are excellent as well. I have used some of the materials from Pipemakers before but had not bought any of the ebonite rod, I may have to look at that again, the cross section reveals a very interesting and apealing pattern.

Again a wonderful design and great work!

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thanks again for the kind words. I would love to take credit for the "grain" and for the "pattern" on the cap, but that's just what cumberland looks like. This is fun material to work with and pen afficianados love the fact that it's a retro material. I've had two more cumberland pens requested since I completed this one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom