Not a pen...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from brownsfn2

brownsfn2

Not sure what to call this. A goblet? A cup? Not sure. All I know is that it is not a pen.

I had a log from a silver maple in my garage for a year that had a "y" or crotch in it and I cut a block of wood from the center and this is what came out. I have never done a turning right from a log before. It was a lot of fun. I usually do not turn pens but am looking forward to any critique. (I still have a problem with tool marks) THanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

brownsfn2

Thanks guys. It was pretty much all the wood's work. I am certainly not an accomplished turner yet. Too many tool marks and grain tear out that I just could not sand out of the piece.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Ron, don't beat yourself up too bad over tool marks, from your description this is new to you, so the fact that you have good form is far more important that perfect tool control. Both will improve with time, and you are starting with good form which is the harder of the two to learn.

A very nice chalice

brownsfn2

Thanks Eric. Very nice feedback. I appreciate the point of view. I think my problem is having really sharp tools. I would get less tearout I think. It is fun perfecting it all though.

brownsfn2

Wow. I am flattered. You absolutely can copy it and sell it. Send me a picture and let me know how it does. :)

Ron,
Love the shape of the piece... I would call it a Chalice too... Can I try to copy it... I think it would do well in my booth.

I save the picture for future reference anyway.

Top Bottom