North East USA trip - wood sources?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sparkydc

Hi guys

I'm pretty much a newbie here; hope I'm posting in the right place.

Next week the wife and I will be doing a road trip, starting in Washington, popping into Delaware then to Philadelphia, then up to Brewster, NY. Then we're driving up to Carroll, NH, then down to Cape Cod, and departing from Boston.

So here's the tall order.

Of course I can't describe precise routes here, but they'll be fairly close to what the SatNav recommends. Can anyone suggest any possible en route drop-ins where I might be able to acquire some nice pen blanks - local stuff, burl, whatever? I'm not averse to going off the beaten track a little! I hate to think I might unknowingly breeze past numerous treasure troves. Grateful for any suggestions...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

1. Berkshire Lumber near Great Barrington, MA is a dealer in specialty timbers, and they have an extensive selection of turning blanks.
2. Vermont Bowl Company in Wilmington, Vt is a sells 'drops' from their bowl making shop as 'kindling'. Maple, birch, and walnut, typically in small sizes and often cross grain.
3. J. K. Adams in Dorset, Vt is a treenware manufacturer. Similar to Vermont Bowl, they sell 'kindling that is wood that is flawed beyond their QC control. Maple and ash, but often in fairly large sizes.

robertkulp

If you're around Ischua, NY, look up William Fourness. He runs the Wood Turning Stock For Sale group on FB and has some incredible black cherry burl and other wood.

He's posted his address and phone number as...

William Fourness
1500 Yankee Hill Road
Ischua, NY 14743
(716) 557-8360

duncsuss

These are a couple that I know of, although I haven't been to either myself I've had recommendations from members of my turning club.

Bad Dogs Burl Source -- Belchertown, MA -- phone if you want to stop by the store. Take I-91 north from Hartford to Springfield and you'll be nearly there when you meet I-90 (the Mass Pike)

All Righteous Woods -- Rowley, MA -- on Rte 1 (just a few miles from I-95), again worth phoning ahead of time. Take the scenic route south from Carroll (Conway, Ossippee, Rochester) instead of I-93 and you'll be more or less driving past the door :biggrin:

Last edited:

greggas

Hey Gary;

Since you are going to Philly I would stop in at Hearne Hardwoodss in Oxford , PA....may be the world's best lumber yard.....Hearne Hardwoods with over 140 species of domestic and exotic hardwoods in stock, is one of the largest specialty lumber yards in the world. We are a retailer of exotic wood up to 84 inches wide, figured wood, hardwood flooring and millwork services.

I second what Duncan wrote about Bad Dog Burls. Rob Doyle is a great guy and a visit to his shop is well worth the time ( make sure to call or email first)...he is about 2 hours west of Boston.

If you want some funky local stuff...I have a collection of about 50 different burls from New England and some really cool historic Boston pieces...would be more than willing to send you home with some....I live halfway between Boston and Cape Cod.....feel free to look me up on IAP and I can send you some contact info if interested. Enjoy your trip....sounds like fun

greg

sparkydc

Wow! Fantastic info, chaps, much appreciated. A couple of those look very promising, given my notional route. Time for some planning!

Greg - we may meet...

gratz

Walk the beach on cape cod and pick up some driftwood, you never know what it will end up looking like when you turn it! Thought I had some pictures, will poke around a bit more to see if I can find them.

duncsuss

Wow! Fantastic info, chaps, much appreciated. A couple of those look very promising, given my notional route. Time for some planning!

Greg - we may meet...

Depending on which day(s) you are in the Boston area I might be around -- I live about 20 miles north and work in the "Seaport District".

Top Bottom