Normal or not

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

The small black marks(dots). Are they in the wood from the beginning or am I doing something wrong when cutting, sanding.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    371.3 KB · Views: 321
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SSGMEADER

Depends on the species of wood. But yes those look like the are there to stay. I've seen it in Mango and a few others. I believe it tends to happen in more open grain woods. I always clean after sanding with DNA before applying my finish.

Last edited:

WriteON

Don't know the wood type. It's from a bulk pack. That explains the quality (and finish). Thanks, Frank

Last edited:

ChrisD123

those small black dots are the grain in the wood since it is open grained the sanding dust gets clogged in the grain and when you finish is it becomes wet and causes the wood to dust to turn almost blank, u can fix this by buying some canned air and blowing it out once ur done sanding before you finish, let me know if your need any help! pm me!

shortz1lla

You can also use acetone or denatured alcohol to remove sanding dust, but I don't think that's what it is. Zebrawood tends to have some grain like that... worked plenty of it.

StuartCovey

I've seen quite a few of these types of thread recently and it made me wonder am I the only one who thinks it adds to the look of the pen?

I think it adds to the pen too.
I have had a couple of pens that have done that, it sure looked like to me that they were from the wood. But sometimes with lighter wood when you sand it dust will get in all the little cracks and make it look just like that too.

Top Bottom