noob question pen mill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

fxst00

Sorry I have a noob question for y'all.
I was a WoodC&$%t name changed to protect the innocent [8D]
the guy told me that the pen mill kit was a screw in type that you could use with a knob. They were out of them at the time. I had my other half pick it up one day (she was on that side of town) and he said it was threaded but when I got it home its not and have no idea how to use this one. I'm thinking its for a drill press, and I have a drill press but would rather use a hand one.
The first picture is what I got and the second is what I wanted but a kit to do all sizes.
Is it one size fits all with the hand one or what and how would I use this kit?
http://woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5386

http://woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=1615
and should I just take the kit back and get the other with all the sizes?
any help would be appreciated.
JC

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penbros

i have that one. you put it in the chuck of the press and then than put the end with cutter into one end of the blank at a time and u push down until the wood is level with the brass tube, but be sure no to cut the brass. there will be some wood left on the corners that will turn off. its alot easier to do it in the drill press than by hand especally if u have alot of wood to bore through to get down t the brass

vick

I personally use a cordless drill. I recommend get the one with 1 7mm pilot. For non 7mm kits drill a hole in a block of plastic or hardwood (I use corian scraps)glue in a 7mm tube and then turn it down to the inside diamter of the pen tube. slip the assembley on your pen mill pilot to use.

Dario

I have the kit you showed on the first link.

It mounts on the drill press and since you have a DP...I highly suggest you use it. I mount my tubed blank on the vise like when drilling and use the mill on the DP. It is really easy and you will have so much more control.

Though this is a kit...it will not fit all tubes out there. I have been making insert sleeve out of 7mm tubeb blanks. I just turn them to fit the tube I have and use the proper sleeve as needed. NOTE that a small wiggle is enough to mess your fit so make sure you have an accurate fit.

It involves work but in the long run it will make your life so much easier. It will also reduce swapping the center guide post since you will only use the 7mm one [;)].

smoky10

I have both pen mills but don't use the second one anymore. The first one I use in a cordless drill and hold the blank in my vice. To me this is much easier and quicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom