No clue whatsoever what wood this is....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

247563_168184159908324_100001502242963_401416_7436771_n.jpg

247899_168184306574976_100001502242963_401418_1597353_n.jpg

I cut this stuff off the tree Friday. The underside of the bark is flesh colored. It looks like you tore someone's skin off. The center of the branches is the brown color, the outer area is the lighter color. The center of the grain in the dark area zig zags distinctly, as do the tiniest branches on the tree. The leaves are round, small point at the end, fairly flat, and a dark purple-ish almost black. I may have moisture related issues later, but it turned out good enough for today.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

patmurris

It's hard to tell without seeing end grain, a plank, the bark or a log... The picture makes me think of black locust - it's a very hard wood, was it difficult to cut? But the description you make doesn't match though...

Last edited:

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I cut this stuff off the tree Friday. The underside of the bark is flesh colored. It looks like you tore someone's skin off. The center of the branches is the brown color, the outer area is the lighter color. The center of the grain in the dark area zig zags distinctly, as do the tiniest branches on the tree. The leaves are round, small point at the end, fairly flat, and a dark purple-ish almost black. I may have moisture related issues later, but it turned out good enough for today.
Does the leaf look like this? They can be very dark in different areas at different times of the year and the wood looks spot on to the crab apple I have.

Attachments

• crab apple leaf.jpg
    crab apple leaf.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 97

Drstrangefart

247578_168232036570203_100001502242963_401713_4533190_n.jpg

This is what it looks like as a plank. It's some odd stuff. I just scored what I could at work without getting in hot water over it. It wasn't much more than a couple of branches. It wasn't the stuff Hunter27 showed. Leaver are wider and no serration on the edzes. Also, the branches that thin zig zag.

robutacion

I know that you are not in Australia and I can't help you with the name of the tree species you got but, if I didn't know where you were, I would have said that is an Acacia, a Silver or White one...!

I have attached some pics of these 2 species that I have in Town, so that you can see the resemblance...!

I hope you manage to find the name of it...!:wink:

Cheers
George

Attachments

• PIC08081_(1).JPG
    PIC08081_(1).JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 96
  • PIC08088_(1).JPG
    PIC08088_(1).JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 109
  • PIC08090_(1).JPG
    PIC08090_(1).JPG
    30 KB · Views: 111

leehljp

Member Liaison
The wood looks like mulberry to me also and I have lots of it around. However, the description of the leaf sounds like "Forest Pansy" redbud, which I have in my yard. I don't know what the wood looks like, as I haven't cut anything from it.

I have a mulberry tree in my yard here and had one in my yard in Japan also. The dark purple leaves are not mulberry. My forest pansy redbud does have a few slightly zigzag like small limbs.

Last edited:

robutacion

The middle one looks almost identical to my sample. It could easily be an acacia. The guy in charge of planting stuff on campus likes exotic and endangered plants.

Well, anything is possible but, I doubt...!:wink:

These particular two varieties of the Acacia, aren't large trees and they have a short life expectancy. The fungi and other "wood destroyers" kill them at young age, not many live to reach the 20 years, most will be affected by white fungi that attacks the wood from the inside out, making it very weak and causing it to split/brake apart or, kill it while standing up and endup disintegrating in no time. As soon as as it hits the ground (in these areas=lots of ground water/moisture), it collapses to mulch in no time...!

PS: I like to be able to "validate" what I say, with photographic evidence, when possible. Sometimes this is not so simple or possible but is this case it is. This tree lived 15 meters from my back fence, until 2 years ago when it was cut down and salvaged by, "moi"...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

Attachments

• my turnings 002.jpg
    my turnings 002.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 76
  • my turnings 009_(1)_(1).jpg
    my turnings 009_(1)_(1).jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 87
  • my turnings 006_(1).jpg
    my turnings 006_(1).jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 87
  • my turnings 005.jpg
    my turnings 005.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

Pens By Scott

I've turned a few from my Father-in-Law's back yard (shhh, don't tell him) They were Mountain Ash trees, nice stuff to turn.
They had very similar color and and figure to what you have shown here.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
I don't know what grows in your area. But here in California, it'd sound like "Purple-Leaf Plum" . . . sure does look like its from a fruit tree in the Rosa family.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I don't know what grows in your area. But here in California, it'd sound like "Purple-Leaf Plum" . . . sure does look like its from a fruit tree in the Rosa family.
found a pic to compare

Attachments

• PLP.jpg
    PLP.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 85

Drstrangefart

found a pic to compare

I don't think that's it either. I'm gonna do my best to remember to get a picture of the tree while I'm at work tomorrow. The tree still stands I just scavenged stuff from raising the canopy a little.

Drstrangefart

wizard

Glad you found the name of the wood...never heard of it though. But I can tell you that is a really nice looking pen. Doc

Top Bottom