No. 12 Walnut Coin Tray/Dish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JD Combs Sr

JD Combs Sr

This is my 12th turning (also posted on SMC) so far that is not a pen. I had a short ~3ft piece of 4/4 x 6" walnut with a big knot hole in one end so I thought I would make use of a piece of it. So, for your critique and musings here is a small walnut coin bowl. There are some repairs on it as the results of a bad catch when turning it. I did some gluing and some patch work and I think It turned out pretty decent.

I am good at copying others work but generally lack true originality. This is the first bowl I have turned that I felt was an original. I had a vision of a plate with the brass inlay but had not even thought of a coin tray, until I got it done that is, it was only then that I realized that it looked familiar
frown.gif
... a coin tray, dang I thought I really had something original.
eek.gif

Stats:
Nicely figured Walnut
One coat CA Finish then Triple E and finally wax.
Brass Filings and epoxy inlay
Diameter - 5.5 Inches
Height - 1 inch

IMG_1726.JPG
If you look closely at this photo you can see the hairline crack where I glued it back together.

Attachments

• IMG_1724.JPG
    IMG_1724.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_1728.JPG
    IMG_1728.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_1731.JPG
    IMG_1731.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_1733.JPG
    IMG_1733.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 189
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

phillywood

JD it looks beautiful, I had to look very close and for a long time to notice the crack you fixed, but I think with your craftiness if it happens again how about putting some of the fine dust on the crack after you glued it and then build it up then sand it back down. Just a thought, however form here it's very hard to tell where it is. the bowl looks very nice and I like the brass inlay. I wonder if you could tell me how you did it.
Thank you.

Fred

JD, Sr. ... Extremely Nice 'coin bowl'. I like the slanted interior of the rim. That will make grabbing a handfull out of the bowl a lot easier.

Congratulations on posting all your stats for others to read. Sure beats all the requests for such information and never getting any replies posted.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Beautiful form, well executed. I like the undercut on the inside of the rim. I have been doing that a lot lately and really like the look and feel of it. Great job on the powdered metal inlay, doing that sort of inlay is something I have had on my to do list for a while.

JD Combs Sr

JD it looks beautiful, I had to look very close and for a long time to notice the crack you fixed, but I think with your craftiness if it happens again how about putting some of the fine dust on the crack after you glued it and then build it up then sand it back down. Just a thought, however form here it's very hard to tell where it is. the bowl looks very nice and I like the brass inlay. I wonder if you could tell me how you did it.
Thank you.

First I talked a Loews key maker out of the grindings from their key machine. Then when I was turning the bowl I cut a grove in the perimeter where I wanted the inlay. I then mixed the grindings with five minute epoxy and pressed it into the grove (being very messy :wink:). I let it set overnight then turned the epoxied area down again to fresh wood and then finished the bowl as describe in the op.

PaulDoug

That is a great bowl. beautiful work. I'm slowing getting interested in this bowl stuff. Hope I can make something as nice as that someday.

Top Bottom