Nib

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

djpnevans

I started getting the pen bug again but want to make my own. The problem is the nib is there a special type of drill bit e.g. shaped drill bit.
Thanks David

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Are you trying to make your own metal Nib? or are you wanting to know what drill bit to use for the feed assembly for a particular brand of feed and nib? or for a complete front section like Schmidt or from one of the kits?

frank123

I just step drill the bar first keeping track of what drill size I use and how deep I go with it then turn it to shape being careful not to cut into the drilled step shoulders (thinnest after turning at the shoulders).

I helps me to draw a sketch of it before turning with the correct dimensions listed for the steps so I can measure my progress and avoid accidentally cutting too deep. More important to do this on a ball point type pen than a fountain pen since the final point and hole are much smaller than the hole for screwing a FP feed into and I need to have the right diameter and depth for the spring. At least it is for me and I admit I'm a very amateur pen maker and don't make many since it is only done for my own pleasure when I do.

Top Bottom