NFL blanks, any tips?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

csr67

I just purchased a couple NFL bottle cap blanks from The Classic Nib for some Patriots and Broncos fans. They are already tubed for a Sierra style pen. Does anyone here have any tips before I "tear" into these to make a couple pens?

The Broncos blank is already rounded, and the cap looks very close to the surface of the clear acrylic. Can I still shape this on the lathe? The Patriots blank is only partially rounded and looks to have more meat on it. Thanks for any help in keeping me from destroying two pricey blanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

For the Broncos blank, you won't have to turn so much meat off it if you turn it for a Sierra Vista, which is fatter than the twist Sierra. I had the same concerns with a watch part blank and was successful using a Sierra Vista pen kit. Be aware, though, that the bushings are bigger for the Sierra Vista kit .... you can't use your Sierra bushings.

Last edited:

csr67

Let me know how it goes! I have 4 buffalo Bills sierra blanks from the same maker. I too have been nervous to start them. Check out some videos by Exotic Blanks on youtube. He shows some great tips and possible dangers when turning casted blanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGm6HruPEXs

Thanks for the tips. The video was good, but has me now with visions of $25 blanks blowing up. I'll do the Broncos blank first, it's for my wife. The Patriots blank is for a Sr. VP at work who I have a meeting with in two weeks. I really need that one to work!

csr67

Well I successfully turned the Broncos blank today. The blank was already rounded and within 1/8" of finished diameter. I just used my Easy Wood Worker round tipped tool and took nice light cuts. Once I got into it, I realized the embedded bottle cap is not as close to the surface as it appears. The blank had one flaw, a bubble near the finial, but the clip hides it enough.

After turning, wet sanded to 12,000 MM and then buffed it on my buffing wheel with some tripoli and huts plastic polish. Here it is on an Elegant Sierra Chrome/Satin kit from Classic Nib:

af2137ec0ce4ffc9c0df122e80d49c74.jpg

I think my wife will like it! Next up is the Patriots blank. That one is D shaped and not end trimmed like the Broncos blank, so it will require a bit more work.

Charlie_W

If you sand or saw off the corners first, you lessen the chance of disaster. I do not use the barrel trimmer but instead cut close to the tube with the bandsaw, then sand to the tube with a disc sander using a rod so the blank is sanded square with the tube.
Next, I just clean up the disc sanding marks by sanding on the lathe with the rod w/ Jacobs Chuck in tailstock. Sanding disc on headstock.....light radial sanding.
Then blot the ends of the blank with thin CA on a paper towel.
Blank is ready!
Take VERY light cuts on the ends of the blank till round. Then start working the blank to round and then to size.

Edit....I turn with between center bushings....
Looks like you did a splendid job on the first one!

Last edited:

csr67

Thanks for the feedback on the Broncos blank/pen. My wife loves it! For this blank, I turned it on a madrel using a mandrel saver in the tailstock.

Now for the NE Patriots blank... Well let's just say it didn't fare as well.... I had a few minutes this weekend and figured I'd crank out the pen. First bad idea, trying to rush it. I used a lathe mounted sanding disk and a chuck/set-up punch to easily sand the ends flush to the brass tubes. I then started turning the "D" shaped blank using my Easy Wood roughing tool, easy peasy, the blank quickly turned round with nice light cuts and ribbons of plastic shavings. I then switched to my Easy Wood round finishing tool to finalize the profile....

All was going great, I was 99% of the way done, but then disaster struck. I decided to take one more very light pass to even out a small dip in the blank profile, and I cut into the embeddd bottle cap! The end result was a nice silver gouge through the cap. The blank is trashed. Lesson learned, quit while you're ahead. I was in a rush and should have just sanded the final profile. I'll order up another Pat's blank eventually and give it another go.

Last edited:

csr67

Chris, we are sold out of Patriots blanks but look at my site and pick out another blank and we will get it to you at no charge. PM me which blank you want.

Wow, that is very generous of you! Thank you, and you just earned a VERY loyal customer for life.

Top Bottom