Next meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nava1uni

I am also up for a meeting. I can do any time after the Veteran's Day weekend. That weekend I am doing the Women's Crafts Fair at Fort Mason in San Francisco. What about asking for topic ideas?

Dave_M

Sorry,
Been off the air for a while. Trying my hand at Christmas ornaments with some success. Not much, but some. Learned a lot on my first attempt. Might start a second today. I also have to crank out two pens for a charity auction this week... thanks to my wife.

Went out riding one last time before winter closes the Sierras. Finally made the long trek up to the Great Basin Bristlecone Pine Forrest. The Great Basin Bristlecone Pine Forrest is home to the Methuselah Tree. Its measured age of 4,800 + years makes it the world's oldest known living organism. It's exact location is kept secret to protect the tree from vandals but there are plenty others just like it. Amazing how twisted up and knotted these trees grow. I was tempted to sneak a little wood out of there but reality is I'd probably do less time if caught with a kilo in my pocket.

1024.jpg

1024.jpg

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
How about December 10th? Then we can see ornament gifts before they get shipped to their recipients?

Art was planning to host but life-changes make that unfeasible. Anyone else want to host? Or, we could do it here if I can get some help. Where ever, we will likely need heaters. ;)

GK

Dave_M

I'm always willing to help out Greg. Hosting in the valley could be problematic with our foggy season just around the corner. One of the things I hate about living here. The fog is thick as thick can get and we can go weeks without seeing the sun.

The only weekend in Dec. that I can't do is the third weekend. First or second weekend could work for me.

Dave

How about December 10th? Then we can see ornament gifts before they get shipped to their recipients?

Art was planning to host but life-changes make that unfeasible. Anyone else want to host? Or, we could do it here if I can get some help. Where ever, we will likely need heaters. ;)

GK

Dave_M

OK,
Finally finished my first attempt at turning an ornament. It actually ended up being more of an exercise in what not to do. It turned out different than I planned and I almost tossed it before it was completed. I decided to keep going and see what else I could learn from the process. Why pass up a good learning opportunity right? In the end it turned out better than it should have. Lets just say it was a decent save. This was turned from a piece of Larry's Bay Wood. It's approx. 4" long and 2" in diameter.

1_IMG_0028.800x600.jpg

Last edited:

darcisowers

Hi all,

We don't have any portable heaters, so not sure how we can help with the next meeting held outside.... rainy/cold season - bah humbug!

but if we just want to get together to show off stuff and eat (my kind of meeting!), we could probably host that kind of meeting here. No room for demos or anything special like that. We could do the 10th or 11th (but not until after 11 on sunday) or we could do Dec 2/3. But we're NOT going to be available starting the 15th (tahoe trip). Last time we hosted I think we had 12 people (and our living room was full of puppies!), and that was pretty cozy - so I think we'd be able to pull it off.

We also could probably meet in Nov if we wanted to put something together for the weekend of the 19/20th - I can't remember who was/wasn't going to be available at that time.

I hope everything is OK with Art....

Darci

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
OK,
Finally finished my first attempt at turning an ornament. It actually ended up being more of an exercise in what not to do. It turned out different than I planned and I almost tossed it before it was completed. I decided to keep going and see what else I could learn from the process. Why pass up a good learning opportunity right? In the end it turned out better than it should have. Lets just say it was a decent save. This was turned from a piece of Larry's Bay Wood. It's approx. 4" long and 2" in diameter.

1_IMG_0028.800x600.jpg

Wow, that turned out really pretty! Almost translucent! great job on your first try!

nava1uni

I could do the weekend in November or December 11th. I would be willing to help in any way. I like the idea of being warm, don't necessarily need a demo. Seeing everyone would be nice.

turn4fun

Connie and I could make it on weekend of Dec. 11. We can't make it for the last weekend in Nov.. we'll be at a craft faire. Regards.. Larry

Dave_M

I'm still trying to finish my second ornament. I'm doing a traditional globe style this time around. My first attempt at using a jam chuck, which turned out to be a learning experience. Note to self: make sure there is enough wood to support the stresses on the turning. I hollowed my globe out to 1/8" thickness which wasn't stout enough to support the stress at the jam chuck. It eventually came a part on me. Not all was lost though. One thing I'm learning is how to recover from my mistakes. I found a way to cover up my explosion and continue on. Now I'm trying to turn the pendant. I'm trying to get it very thin and I've gotten sooo close. Just a little more... little more, I think I can get it a little thinner... snap! Dang it! After doing that three or four times, I had to walk away from it for a couple days. Turning tooth picks will really challenge your skew skills. I thought about switching to sand paper to bring it down to the final thickness but I really want to do this with my skew all the way. I realized that a set of very small turning tools would be a big help here. For me, figuring out how to get it done and learning new things along the way is what it's all about.

ldubia

Someone will have to take lots of pics as I won't be there for this meeting. I have a show in Henry Cowell State Park to do. I really am going to miss the group. The ornaments and things are sounding very neat. Be sure to let me know what the next challenge is so i can attempt it. I really like the challenges. I think it helps us all to grow ad try things we may not have otherwise.

Greg, I like the ornament you produced. Sweet shape. Looks really good. fabulous finish.

Dave,
I still have not done a Christmas ornament, but I know that snap and crack.

I was doing a redwood bowl from my in-laws tree. The bowl was about 8 inches deep and about 8 inches across. Wood was dry and cracked. I filled some in with ca and was about to stop and fill in some more cracks when I heard a crack and there was nothing left of the bowl except the base and about 1" at the bottom. Pieces went all the way out to the street. Fortunately I had the screen over the piece and a face shield.

Ryan thought it was very funny and has teased me about it quite a bit.

Can't wait to see everybody at next meeting.
Ken

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Wasn't me, but Dave. But I certainly agree with your sentiments about it.

So, are we doing one on December 10th??

GK

Someone will have to take lots of pics as I won't be there for this meeting. I have a show in Henry Cowell State Park to do. I really am going to miss the group. The ornaments and things are sounding very neat. Be sure to let me know what the next challenge is so i can attempt it. I really like the challenges. I think it helps us all to grow ad try things we may not have otherwise.

Greg, I like the ornament you produced. Sweet shape. Looks really good. fabulous finish.

darcisowers

we could still host on the 11th... however, if we want to get together, I need to know ASAP so we can get to moving on getting the house ready. :eek: How did it become December already????

Andy's been working on a new project. I'm sure he'll want to show it off, even though it may not be fully functional by Sunday. Oh, and it's not turning related, but woodworking. and total geek factor. :biggrin: It prompted a total garage makeover (also still in progress), complete with an early Christmas present of a new 220 outlet, so he doesn't have to share with me (and the dryer).

how 'bout some food ideas (and a head count!)?

Top Bottom