Next Component set to add????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I'm probably going to add a Component Set or two to my line again soon and would like opinions on what set(s) to add and why. Except for finishes my Le Roi line is about full.

Opinions on new finishes to existing lines will also be welcomed.

Also on the price range any new additions should fall into. I look at 'low' as being less than $10.00, 'medium' as $10 - $20, and high as more than $20.00. All of my current offerings are low or medium.

Last edited:

Dan Masshardt

2 tone hybrid cigars. Chrome and gunmetal. Or even higher quality platings if the price is right.

Keep the price as close to $10 as you can. Less would be even better. :)

Sylvanite

I once had a source for Gold Ti / Black Ti and Chrome / Black Ti Cigar kits, but haven't been able to get them quite for some time. Regular Cigar kits - not the hybrids. The Cigar has long been a mainstay kit except for the black enamel - which is it's Achilles' heel. I think there'd be a real niche for these kits in durable platings.

Oh, and I'm still looking for reasonably priced Ti Gold Euro kits too.

Regards,
Eric

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan Masshardt

I once had a source for Gold Ti / Black Ti and Chrome / Black Ti Cigar kits, but haven't been able to get them quite for some time. Regular Cigar kits - not the hybrids. The Cigar has long been a mainstay kit except for the black enamel - which is it's Achilles' heel. I think there'd be a real niche for these kits in durable platings. Oh, and I'm still looking for reasonably priced Ti Gold Euro kits too. Regards, Eric

Two metals is the hybrid I believe. Ultra is the different clip and centerband.

I may be mistaken.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I once had a source for Gold Ti / Black Ti and Chrome / Black Ti Cigar kits, but haven't been able to get them quite for some time. Regular Cigar kits - not the hybrids. The Cigar has long been a mainstay kit except for the black enamel - which is it's Achilles' heel. I think there'd be a real niche for these kits in durable platings. Oh, and I'm still looking for reasonably priced Ti Gold Euro kits too. Regards, Eric

I may be mistaken.
I take both people suggesting the same thing...the bands and cap be something like black TI rather than the typical enamel? How about black chrome...cheaper than black TI and about as durable.

Last edited:

Sylvanite

The "ultra" cigar is the blingy one. The "hybrid" cigar has the chrome/gold/rhodium plating on the centerband and finial with the black ti/gunmetal plating on the nib, trim ring and clip. The "regular" cigar has chrome/rhodium/gold nib, trim ring, and clip and black enamel coated centerband and finial.

I'm looking for kits just like the regular cigar (not the hybrid) except that the black enamel parts have been replaced with smoke chrome/gunmetal/black ti plated components. These have been called 2-tone cigar kits. Basically, they are just cigar kits with upgraded plating (platinum/black chrome vs chrome/black enamel and ti-gold/black chrome vs 24k-gold/black enamel). I can point you to my previous source (who has been out of stock for years) privately if you like.

Eric

BSea

How about the Jr. Retro. It's one of my favorite component sets. I also like the gunmetal caballero that's already been mentioned.

southernclay

Caballero works for me, I need to try to find some TBC bushings for it though, I think Constant only has them out for the Gent II.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I once had a source for Gold Ti / Black Ti and Chrome / Black Ti Cigar kits, but haven't been able to get them quite for some time. Regular Cigar kits - not the hybrids. The Cigar has long been a mainstay kit except for the black enamel - which is it's Achilles' heel. I think there'd be a real niche for these kits in durable platings.

Regards,
Eric
Define reasonably priced? They aren't hard to get, But I don't know if anybody carries them in Gold TN.

Sylvanite

Define reasonably priced? They aren't hard to get, But I don't know if anybody carries them in Gold TN.
I think within a buck or two of the 24k gold price would be reasonable. I can currently get 24k gold euro kits for $2.25-$2.95 (depending on quantity), so I'd like to see prices under $4.00 or $5.00.

Last edited:

Dan Masshardt

For the cigars, I'd probably buy anything that doesn't look like it has black plastic.

Personally I most want something like the hybrid. The black ti / platinum that (name removed by edit) sells is so classy looking.

However, I think that it would also retain much of the look with chrome and gunmetal or something similar.

If I was buying them anyway, I'd prob buy some of the gunmetal rollerballs as well. I like the jr 2 better than the 1, but would buy either.

Maybe some totally different rollerball / fountain than anybody else carries would be a thought as well...

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
For the cigars, I'd probably buy anything that doesn't look like it has black plastic.

Personally I most want something like the hybrid. The black ti / platinum that (name removed by edit) sells is so classy looking.

However, I think that it would also retain much of the look with chrome and gunmetal or something similar.

If I was buying them anyway, I'd prob buy some of the gunmetal rollerballs as well. I like the jr 2 better than the 1, but would buy either.

Maybe some totally different rollerball / fountain than anybody else carries would be a thought as well...
I think what you're looking for is already available at one of my competitors.

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Regards,
Eric
How about black chrome instead of black enamel?

beck3906

Something with the same tubes used for cigars but a totally different look.

Another look for a 10.5 and 12.5 tube set.

Something on the upper end to compete with the jr statesman.

A large size tube set to compete with the statesman

The list could go on and on.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
How about the Jr. Retro. It's one of my favorite component sets. I also like the gunmetal caballero that's already been mentioned.
I really don't see much chance for jr. Retro --- it's just a jr Gent 2 with a different cap and centerband hi end finish and a high price (which I probably could not beat).

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Not at an attractive price point.
Chrome/Satin Chrome at less than $6.00(at my competitor's) ....might be able to do Chrome/Gun Metal in the same price range but the step to Gold Tn/Rhodium, Black To/Rhodium or Gold Tn/Black To (or visa-versa) would be steep.

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I do have to say this....I am not really motivated by cigar kit - for about 18 months I had nice cigar kits in chrome and gold Tn for the lowest prices you could find and they did not sell.....I also offered them with a oneway transmission rather than two way but they still didn't sell. I can't think of much that would be different now. There is just a lot of competition on cigar kits and a low price does not guraranee sales.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Something with the same tubes used for cigars but a totally different look.

Another look for a 10.5 and 12.5 tube set.

Something on the upper end to compete with the jr statesman.

A large size tube set to compete with the statesman

The list could go on and on.
Isn't that already available - I have some in my collection that I think fill that niche - don't really know what they're called

Cmiles1985

I have seen tons of interest in the magnetic cap pens. Having said that, is there a way to get a nice component set that includes a magnetic cap (RB or FP) that includes a turned barrel (read: Jr. Series)?

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Is it possible to add another fountain pen finish in the caballero? Thinking gold ti or gun metal?
I'd have to look into that, I don't carry FP right now because the Jt Gent 1 makers tend to glue in the nibs which makes them a bear (impossible for a lot of folks) to change the nibs on...Which is really why I don't have them now.

Bean_Counter

Ok last suggestion then I'm done, sorry but you are my favorite vendor... How about a caballero that doesn't post?

I didn't know you had full size ones or I would have bought

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
If there was interest, they do make a full sized Gentleman pen at one of the vendors I use so I can get them (I had a few for the birthday bash that I think I traded for blanks.).

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Not at an attractive price point.
Doing Gold Tn/Black To I would probably be in the $11/$12 range ($9/$10 for Smitty's Club Members) maybe a dollar less for Chrome/ Black To' That would be with Schmidt EasyFlow 9000 refills.

Chrome/Black Chrome or Gold Tn Black Chrome in the $5/$6 range for Smitty's club members.

But the latter 2 didn't sell at a lower price when I carried them before.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I have seen tons of interest in the magnetic cap pens. Having said that, is there a way to get a nice component set that includes a magnetic cap (RB or FP) that includes a turned barrel (read: Jr. Series)?
Clark, PSI has the magnetic graduate that is exactly that. FB and FP 10.5mm and 12.5mm tubes and both tubes turned. Price Range is $11.95 (chrome) $12.95 (gun metal), looks like a pretty nice looking kit to me.

Dan Masshardt

Doing Gold Tn/Black To I would probably be in the $11/$12 range ($9/$10 for Smitty's Club Members) maybe a dollar less for Chrome/ Black To' That would be with Schmidt EasyFlow 9000 refills. Chrome/Black Chrome or Gold Tn Black Chrome in the $5/$6 range for Smitty's club members. But the latter 2 didn't sell at a lower price when I carried them before.

I'd be interested in the chrome / black ti in the $10 for sure would preorder some

Although nobody else has been talking much about these It just seems that a nice cigar would fit well into your lineup.

Cmiles1985

Clark, PSI has the magnetic graduate that is exactly that. FB and FP 10.5mm and 12.5mm tubes and both tubes turned. Price Range is $11.95 (chrome) $12.95 (gun metal), looks like a pretty nice looking kit to me.

That they do, and I did not realize it! I haven't really looked at PSI's lineup since I've become more involved in turning as I've been buying most of my component sets from you. Thanks for the heads up Mr. Smith!

Sylvanite

I once had a source for Gold Ti / Black Ti and Chrome / Black Ti Cigar kits, but haven't been able to get them quite for some time.
How about black chrome instead of black enamel?
I'd be very happy to find a regular cigar kit in TiGold and Black Chrome plating. I used to make a lot of cigar pens in that combination.

Top Bottom