Newby here

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wescott

Hi all! I am new to woodturning in general and the penturning world specifically and have been reading, watching and trying to absorb all that I can over the past month or so. To that end, I finally decided to actually try and turn a pen the other day. Assuming that the first attempt would end in disaster, I just used a piece of scrap oak as a blank and an inexpensive twist kit. All in all, I was pretty happy with the results. I thought the finish turned out pretty well and while the overall fit needs to improve a bit, I thought it passed as a first attempt. My wife really liked it and wanted me to make one for her. So, the next time we stopped by Woodcraft, I had her pick out a kit and blank she liked. This ended up being the Toni Twist in Watermelon shown below. Since I had never turned acrylic, I decided to try one out before making hers so I picked up the Continental kit along with a "Liquid Metal" blank from Woodcraft and gave that a shot. Anyway, you can see all three examples below. Like I said before, they all can improve and definitely need some fine tuning but the results were good enough that I am hooked now!!

I thank all of you here for providing all the valuable information that you do. You never know who is lurking in the background, reading about what you have tried and liked, tried and didn't like, tried and failed as well as succeeded. You save newbies like myself a LOT of time getting up on the learning curve.

I would love to hear your feedback, good or bad. Thanks again and take care!

Attachments

• Toni Twist in Scrap Oak 1.jpg
    Toni Twist in Scrap Oak 1.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 138
  • Continental in Liquid Metal 3.jpg
    Continental in Liquid Metal 3.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 127
  • Toni Twist in Watermelon 1.jpg
    Toni Twist in Watermelon 1.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 130
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

Nice looking pens. Your finish is great.

Looks like you are ready to join in the fun of the IAP.
sign in and have fun with the first PITH of 2018. You will have a wonderful time.

Welcome to the IAP.

magpens

Hello Lee !! . Welcome to IAP !! . Those are nice looking pens you show above !!!

robutacion

Welcome to the IAP family.

Quite impressive, for someone that never done this before, you are pretty good, the finishes are very good and the fittings not that bad either, I suggest you read a little about using the callipers to make sure the bushes have the correct sizes or use the callipers to match exactly the kit's barrel ends, you will be surprised at how "out" some of the factory bushings are :frown:

Best of luck,

Cheers
George

Top Bottom