Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Whorne

Just joined and need advice on what I need to get started turning pens. I have a record DML 24 XL lathe. Nothing else. Called Penn Industries and received their pen turning video. I gather (not sure) that I need a mandrel, pen press, turning tools,pen tube insert, and pen vise for drilling blanks. I have a drill press already. Was advised to start with slim line kit. I know I will need finishing items like sand paper, barrel trimmer and wood blanks. Am I on right track and do I need these items, some only, or any additional items. Am a total rookie so any advice is appreciated. Are there other suppliers that are less expensive. What type of turning tools? Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Whorne

Oh, I am from Macon, ga. and have never turned before but am initially interested only in turning pens. I am sure that will change. Really am more interest in a pen a little larger in diameter than the slim line.

PeetyInMich

Welcome from Monroe Michigan. As far as equipment goes, my list is. Lathe, drill press, Carbide turning tool (Woodchuck™), a drilling jig that I made by cutting two opposite 45° slots into a 3" 2X4 with a table saw (to give me a "90° V" groove) mounted on a 1X4, a few clamps, appropriate drill bits and bushings for the kit that I am turning, a barrel trimmer, a #2 Morse Taper mandrel, 160, 220, 400, 600, 1000, 1500 grit wet/dry paper, automotive polishing compound, paper towels, glue, paint, and a carriage bolt that I chuck into my drill press to "press" the pens together. I guess that I use the same tools except the pen vise (homemade jig instead) and the "pen tube insert" ( assuming you are talking about the tool to keep glue off of your fingers, I use latex gloves, or white vinegar if that fails (to remove epoxy). The dealers that advertise on this site are great to deal with, and their prices are typically in line with or sometimes better than "penn industries" if that is the retailer that I think you are referring to (I use them too, and they do have employees that comment on this site from time to time). Slims are a good way to start because you are turning two separate pieces that should have some continuity between them, the single tube pens are nice once you start to get comfortable with turning pens (Penn State Ind has a few nice bundles with an assortment of kits (particularly the 5 pen, 3/8 tube one) with the bit, and bushings included). Hope this helps. KP

OZturner

Welcome Wendell, from Sydney Australia.

You might find it somewhat over whelming, starting from a virtual blank sheet of paper.

As you are probably aware, there is always more than one way of "killing a cat".
What one person (supplier) recommends, may not be what an existing user has found beneficial.

I would suggest that you spend a little time on this site looking at the postings.

I see that there is a Georgia Local Chapter, so if you can make contact you will be able to talk to experienced Pen Turners on a one to one basis.

I am certain that their advice and suggestions will put you on the right track.

Brian.

cleve

Welcome aboard I too am a beginner, my advise is to find a guild that you can learn from other turners in your area or a mentor like I did . My friend has given me advise on all pen related turning as well as turning bowls . He buys pen kits that he knows are a good deal and will be nice when finished which most are . All different turners will give good advise and I'm sure you'll enjoy making pens.

rherrell

Welcome!

IMO the slimline is one of the harder pens to turn, I think they suggest it for beginners because it's so cheap. I recommend starting with the Sierra type kits, they only have one tube so there's only half the chance to screw up!:biggrin:

its_virgil

Welcome. An excellent place to start would be here: http://content.penturners.org/library/general_reference/Getting_started_in_pen_turning.pdf
Asking what tools should one get will get you a different answer from each person who replies. You will get their preferences which may be or may not be good for you. For example, you asked about a tube insertion tool and I've never used one so I would not suggest you getting one. Others use them all of the time and will suggest the opposite. Someone has suggested getting a carbide tool and even suggested the specific brand. There are many choices for carbide tools and replies will naturally include the favorite of the poster. Me, I use a skew for pens from start to finish so I would suggest you get yourself a skew.

My suggestion would be for you to find a turning club in your area and join. Members who make pens are usually quite happy to get a new turner started. That way you can see penturning first hand and even get a few lessons and use some of the myriad of tools available. Good luck and we look forward to seeing some of your work when you are ready to share.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

StuartCovey

Hi,
It looks like your on the right track! I do not however use a Pen Press, a simple cabinet clamp works for me. (-:

Stuart

Whorne

Thanks for everyone's advice. It turns out there is a middle Ga. Pen turners group that should be very helpful. I look forward to meeting them.

Top Bottom