Newbie to casting....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alankulwicki7

Hey all,
I'm looking to take advantage of the Birthday Bash specials and get into casting. Since I don't have any experience in casting, I really don't want to outlay a bunch of money right away.
Is there a material that works good with out a vacuum system or pressure pot?
I did look at some videos on youtube and have researched the IAP site but was just wondering if there is anything else I should look at.

Thanks!
Doug

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sumterdad

I use silmar 41 from illstreet composites. It is cheaper than buying a quart at a time from the hobby store. You can order the sample packs of mica colors from coastal scents. It really goes along way.

qballizhere

You dont need a vac at all and the pressure pot depends what you want to do. To get started I would suggest 3 things. 1. Resin 2. Color powders 3. Molds you can buy them or make them.

Hey all,
I'm looking to take advantage of the Birthday Bash specials and get into casting. Since I don't have any experience in casting, I really don't want to outlay a bunch of money right away.
Is there a material that works good with out a vacuum system or pressure pot?
I did look at some videos on youtube and have researched the IAP site but was just wondering if there is anything else I should look at.

Thanks!
Doug

Autonoz

May I add one other thing? Patience. This is my first post, but I have been doing a lot of reading here, and by the way, thank you to everyone who takes the time to post information. This site is very educational. I just started trying this thing called casting and although I knew it was going to be somewhat difficult, I had no idea there would be so many variables. Because Castin Craft resin could be purchased local, this is what I bought. I would like to pass on this info to newbies like myself.
1. Don't rush and read all directions carefully. 11 ounces of resin will not harden with 4 drops of catalyst. It was suppose to be 4 drops per ounce of resin.
2. If you think the resin is hard check it before you pick up the mold or it will go everywhere. In my case all over the inside of my pressure pot, and hand. "I'm a rock" Which brings up number 3.
3. Wear gloves when messing with this stuff. Very sticky.
Needless to say my first cast never hardened and while my second cast did harden after two days, the stickers I put on the tubes lifted and the finished product looked like, well you know what.
Research what paints, glues and other products you may use to make sure their compatible. I have used only 16 ounces to learn these lessons and I am sure I will waist a lot more learning this craft. Good luck to you.

gvanweerd

silmar 41. pearl-Ex powders and for the molds I use (for pens) 3\4 x 6" pvc pipe #10 corks for pluging up the bottoms (bottle stops), 2"x 3" pvc pipe 2" pop out test plugs to stop up the bottoms. (found these at lowes) No pressure pots Mix, Pour, 24hr set time. to speed things up. after setting up for a couple hrs bake 175 in toaster oven. hr or so let cool, pop them out.

Top Bottom