Newbie Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bill Arnold

In an effort to make sensible purchases to begin making pens, I'm checking vendor sites along with some of your websites. I've found a few answers to questions by checking the archives on this forum; i.e., mandrels, kit sources, etc. What do you use for assembly and disassembly of pens?

I saw this item on PSI, but it seems a bit pricey at about $43.
PENPRESS3.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wpenm

I have been using that same press for about 4 years now. I only use it for the pens that use the Cross refills. I use my wood vise for all others. It is a good press, but if I were starting over I would just make some spacer blocks for my vise and use the money for more pen kits or blanks. Just my thoughts. Have fun.

heinedan

Pen Press

Bill,

Check out the post in this section from Paul Huffman - vice update/sneak peek. Paul makes a pen press that is the very best money can buy. He also makes a vice for holding your blank and frilling it that will last at least a couple of lifetimes. I have both, and love them. I went through 3 pen vices from Woodcraft and Rockler before buying Pauls's. Save money over the long run, and buy the best!!!!

Good Luck,
Dan

Russianwolf

do you have a drill press already? You can use it to press pen together by making a simple wooden insert for the quill. This is what I use, and have never had an issue with it. I like the fact that the pen is upright and near eye level so I can see how it's going together and make any needed adjustments.

The insert I made is a simple stepped dowel with one end small enough to fit in the chuck and the other about an inch in diameter (Mine is cocobolo since that's what I had laying around).

Bill Arnold

do you have a drill press already? You can use it to press pen together by making a simple wooden insert for the quill. This is what I use, and have never had an issue with it. I like the fact that the pen is upright and near eye level so I can see how it's going together and make any needed adjustments. ...
Yes, I have a floor mount drill press. I also have a bench vise and a woodworking side vise that I could use, too. I like your comment about working at eye level with the drill press -- my eyes aren't as young as they used to be! :wink:

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Bill, I use an arbor press that I bought for a little over 20 bucks...it's a really nice tool to have. Harbor Freight's a good place to find a cheap one.

For dissasembly, HF and Lee Valley both sell Transfer Punch Sets that are incremental in size that work well for taking all types of pens apart...

wicook

My Dad has had problems with the wooden-base press from Penn State (same one at Lee Valley and others), but I bought one from CSUSA with a metal base and have been very pleased with it. I did, however, buy a handle type clamping screw to replace the knob since it was difficult to get enough clamping pressure with the knob. Here's a link to the press:
javascript:PopupPic('/products/large/pen-press_l.jpg');http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Pen_Making___Pen_Making_Tools___Pen_Press___pen_press?Args=

If the link is broken, just go to their site and search for "pen press."

Daniel

I have an arbor press also, but get the second from the smallest press as the smallest just does not quite have enough room.
having said that I would say that a better vice would apply pressure by turning a screw rather than a direct ramming action. it would help in preventing over pressing parts and setting transmissions to far in. there are other was to prevent this and I use those and my press still.

In an effort to make sensible purchases to begin making pens, I'm checking vendor sites along with some of your websites. I've found a few answers to questions by checking the archives on this forum; i.e., mandrels, kit sources, etc. What do you use for assembly and disassembly of pens?

I saw this item on PSI, but it seems a bit pricey at about $43.
PENPRESS3.jpg

Bill,
I bought this pen press from PSI and sent it back after about 3 attempts to use it... the lever mechanism bent on the 3rd try. I use an arbor press from harbor freight and it works perfectly.

Bill Arnold

Thanks...

...for your input and opinions, everyone. You've given me options that I can use in startup mode as well as in the future if I get the "fever" like you guys have! :)

randyrls

Bill; I'll take a contrary position....

When I consider a tool purchase, I always think; "What else can I use this tool for?"

For pen assembly, I use a standard bench vise with some wood jaws "stuck on" with double sided tape. I'd use my wood vise if it had a quick release/adjust and I've considered this option too!

Dario

For more than a year, I used a wood clamp to assemble my pens. It worked but very slow. I found and bought a Grizzly arbor press years ago for $13.00 (on clearance) and it works great!

Top Bottom