Newbie question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

dlindquist

I have a blank (spalted tamarind) that I can tell is going to have holes when I'm throught turning it. How, exactly, do I fill those holes, and when? Before sanding, between levels of sanding? Thanks for you help, and patience.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
David, I would turn the pen to shape before addressing the holes. They can be filled with sanding dust and thin CA or, if you wish to emphasize them, charcoal dust and CA would be a choice.

Marc Phillips

Originally posted by dlindquist
<br />Do you mean mix the dust with the CA, and fill with that mixture?

I fill with dust, then drip thin CA into the void... after it dries, I brush it out and fill with dust again, then drip the CA again.... I repeat until the void is completely filled. Then I sand and blow it out with air to see if there are any pin holes... repeat as needed... Tapping the blank seems to help get the dust into every nook and cranny (dang, I could work for Thomas english muffins!)

RONB

Passed Away Jan 17, 2011
In Memoriam
I full the hole with powder then put on <u>thin</u> CA and turn down and then sand.

Chasper

Go to the library, it is listed under forums at the top of this page. Then click on Ed Davidson's Video Tips. When you get in there click on #4, inlays. You will see a video that gives instructions for carving a groove in a pen, then filling it with powder and CA. You are planning to fill a void with powder and CA, but the same methodology applies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom