Newbie in SC

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TheGuy

Hi all. I am so new to turning anything that I am still looking for a lathe and tools. I'd appreciate any advice that you'd like to offer. I am looking to start with turning pens and move to bowls, stoppers, candle holders, etc. Also, I'm interested in meeting people in or around Columbia, SC that are addicted :biggrin: to turning.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hewunch

Well I am about 1.5 hours away from you (depending on where you live in Cola). Skye is in Rock Hill and there are others near me fiferb and tuba707 come to mind. If I lived in Columbia and was about to start turning and needed a lathe, I would go to Mann Tool and look at the Steal City VS Midi. In fact, I drove down to Cola to get mine @ Mann Tool (West Cola on a frontage road off of I-26, on the Cola side, not the Lex side, between 111 and 113 IIRC). Nice people over there and they have a good selection of tools and blanks too. If you have any ?'s PM me and I will do my best to help.

Hans

lmcminn

Welcome Newbie

I've been turnign for 13 months and LOVE IT!!!

I moved to Greenville, SC from Columbia 2 years ago. There's a new truning store in West Columbia, on 378 near Lexington Medical Center. The store is The WoodZone. It's in the little strip mall across from Greecian Gardens, there's also a Fred's in that little strip mall. This store is basically a PSI reseller, but they have GREAT prices on pen kits, bottle stopper kits, and more. They have various turning a wood working classes.

My in-laws live in West Columbia and every time we're in town I make sure I go by the WoodZone to pick up some blanks or bottle stopper kits. They even have some good deals on beginner tools.

Good Luck and have fun turning.

TheGuy

Bruce I'd like that

Bruce, I'd definitely like to get out to see you. My work schedule makes it difficult for me to get out of town so it may be a while. I could use some tips from some x-purts like you :biggrin:

fiferb

Ted, just let me know when you'd like to visit. I'm available just about any day. One more thing you should know, there is a woodturning club in Columbia. Not sure what they are called but you could inquire at WoodZone.

Top Bottom