Newbie here

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rocky1247

Just started turning in February. Just retired and decided I needed something to do. I have to room to get organized. Take a look at my website. It is still under construction. Any advise is appreciated.
Thanks
Rocky

Home

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Welcome Rocky
Love your shop, but you obviously spend all your shop time organizing rather than turning. I don't see a spec of sawdust anywhere. :)

Rocky1247

Just received some logs rom my neighbor. They are
[*]Sugar Maple
[*]Wild Cherry
[*]Black Walnut
[*]Pin Oak
[*]Red Oak

What do I need to do, before I can use them for pens.
They range from 3" diameter to 6" diameter

magpens

Welcome to IAP !

Just received some logs rom my neighbor. They are
[*]Sugar Maple
[*]Wild Cherry
[*]Black Walnut
[*]Pin Oak
[*]Red Oak

What do I need to do, before I can use them for pens.
They range from 3" diameter to 6" diameter
Cut them !!! :biggrin: 3/4" x 3/4" x 5" approx (that's a standard size for bought pen blanks) - the length can be less (as short as your pen kit tube plus a little bit) or more, depending on your preference.

mmayo

Rocky you have too much room and I think you should share some of it with me. My shop is a two car garage filled with two cars every night. It still is fun every day I can move out the cars and make something.

Fish30114

Welcome to the addiction support forum! Rocky, I think the first thing you need to do with those logs is figure out how much moisture is in them. You can search the web for accurate intel on what the moisture level should be to reduce cracking from shrinking or swelling--of course if you go to the time and expense if stabilizing them that will eliminate that concern--I like doing some stabilizing, but it is pretty costly to do.

Add me to the jealous of your shop group, always gives me ideas of my next home/shop--maybe my last....

CaptainJane

I love Salado

Welcome to IAP. Everyone here is very friendly, and always willing to help/advise. The Library is also a wealth of information.

I love the beautiful town of Salado. I have enjoyed many lunches at the Stagecoach Inn - could not afford to eat there at night. I have not been down that direction in about 10 years though - I bet it has really grown.

Your shop looks great.

It was terrible about the recent bridge accident.

Welcome again, fro near Galveston.

Fay Prozora

Wow I'd give any thing to have a shop like that. I mean look at all that space and a place to use the pressure pot and the lathe and storage and all. Right now mine is just a 4 foot by 12 or 14 feet long area. We have a lot of boxes and furniture stored in that garage and we have yet to go through every thing and donate some of it. The shop also has an apartment which we are planning to remodel for me to live in. There is an upstairs sort of like a loft that has boxes of things up there too. We were staying in our folk's house in Sequim and taking care of them until they passed. The house went to our stepdad's daughter and she came up and took possession of the house and we had to leave a lot of stuff behind. Otherwise I would have a huge shop and one day I still might. I would have been turning before I had every thing put away.. LOL! Nice shop and you will have fun with it. Yes I would think the blanks you cut out would need to be stabilized. There are you tube videos on that. I haven't got that far as yet as I'm just learning about casting and have casted some blanks. The last batch of blanks turned out bad as I don't have a pressure pot as yet. I'm looking into getting one.. Have fun in the big shop and welcome to the forums. Fay

jfoh

You do have a very nice shop. The one suggestion that I would make is to upgrade your dust collection system. Some of the woods we turn are rather bad for the health if large amounts of sanding dust is inhaled. Plus all dust collected reduces cleanup time later which increases turning time not wasted on cleanup.

Top Bottom