Newbie glues fingers to tube insertion tool

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Focushere

Could not believe it. There I was trying to insert a tube into a blank and I was having trouble getting this thing in. I usually just use medium ca and twist it as I insert the tube, but this time I was have trouble. So, I went for the thin ca. Everything was fine until I raised the tool and all that thin ca ran down the tool handle and instantly glued my fingers to it. And, I mean good. You thought I would of been mad but I started laughing thinking about what I was going to say to the folks in the emergency room. Then I got concerned and fear took over. I was thinking what if they have to cut the skin off my fingers. Panic started to set in. Then I remembered reading somewhere on here that acetone would desolve it. Luckily I had some. Man it was a job to get off but finally after about 15 minutes of working with it I got all my fingers loose. Next time I am wearing gloves when working with that stuff. Live and learn.:eek:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
WELCOME to IAP!!!

Next time I can't find my tube insertion tool, I will remember YOUR method of keeping it "close at hand"!!!

It's a plan, but probably not the plan I will use!!

(Glad to hear you had acetone--hurts when the skin is removed, doesn't it??? -----somebody told me that, I would certainly not DO such a thing!!!)

randywa

Don't be a me. Plastic gloves don't help that much. I have howerver, started to kind of like the way acetone feels in the fresh meat I just opened up.

workinforwood

I use two part epoxy always too. If you use CA..wait till the tip dries closed..you poke it then squeeze the bottle, listening for air..if the bottle is still pretty full then some drops of CA will shoot out on to you ear. DAMHIKT

USAFVET98

Welcome to pen turning! LOL If I had a nickel for every time I did that I would have.....Lets see.......2 times........divided by........carry the 3........ well you get the point. I just do the best I can and keep some acetone in a clearly marked squeeze bottle like the ones they have at HF in packages of three. As soon as I feel it hardening up, I squeeze a little on and scrub a little and it usually works.

Ligget

I think most of us have either stuck fingers together, eyelids shut or finger to tubes, myself included.

Now I use two part epoxy as a rule when gluing tubes in!

USAFVET98

I use two part epoxy always too. If you use CA..wait till the tip dries closed..you poke it then squeeze the bottle, listening for air..if the bottle is still pretty full then some drops of CA will shoot out on to you ear. DAMHIKT

LOL Nice! See its not a newbie thing, even the published professionals in the field make mistakes..:wink:

Heres a good one for you all.... I was in the process of duracoating a few guns for a customer and in between colors I have to clean the airbrush. Well wouldnt you know it that I keep a small plastic red cup next to my airbrush to clean the tips and everything. So... without thinking I put the tip in the cup without taking it off the gun and put my finger on the trigger!:eek:
Acetone shot out of the cup and into my eyes! You ever get acetone in your eyes? LOL Horrible feeling. Anyway, the moral of the story is, we all due stupid things whether its gluing our fingers together, chopping a piece of a finger off, or getting acetone in your eye. I just take it all as a learning experience.

See, whats great about this site is we all learn from each other, more than any other site I have been on.

Stick around, you will learn a lot.

ctubbs

It does not matter what I use to glue anything together, the unbreakable rule is, I will, somehow manage to get some part of me glued to some other part of me or, I'll get a glob of glue on my best shirt or pair of pants. That is a rule, not a theory or possibility but, an absolute rule.

Poking a pen in the CA bottle is always bad. Gotta do it twice a month. Epoxy, a glob flips into my hair unnoticed until it dries. Try brushing that out! Gorilla glue foam drops onto my good Sunday pants because I did not take time to change before glueing something up. No, I am not a professional anything except possibly ?
Charles

penmanship

And with that............a newbie no more you are.......:biggrin:

Could not believe it. There I was trying to insert a tube into a blank and I was having trouble getting this thing in. I usually just use medium ca and twist it as I insert the tube, but this time I was have trouble. So, I went for the thin ca. Everything was fine until I raised the tool and all that thin ca ran down the tool handle and instantly glued my fingers to it. And, I mean good. You thought I would of been mad but I started laughing thinking about what I was going to say to the folks in the emergency room. Then I got concerned and fear took over. I was thinking what if they have to cut the skin off my fingers. Panic started to set in. Then I remembered reading somewhere on here that acetone would desolve it. Luckily I had some. Man it was a job to get off but finally after about 15 minutes of working with it I got all my fingers loose. Next time I am wearing gloves when working with that stuff. Live and learn.:eek:

tbroye

Welcome to the IAP

Haven't done that one yet. Glued just about everything else to my finger and hands boy can that stuff get hot. Learned to love the smell and feel of Acetone. Try getting coffee cup off sometime no fun. Enjoy the hobbie and becarefull with the tools.

bking0217

I just did this same thing 2 days ago. Common mistake, I guess. BTW, B. I just got my boxes today. I didn't forget about you. I'll get your package out as soon as I can.

All Thumbs

:redface:One thing I've learned when glueing, no matted how much it iches don't scatch your nose. Enough said.

Carlton

kludge77

As you can see you're in good company. I've also noted that WD40 does a good job at ungluing CA'ed fingers.

Since we're all telling stories, I'll tell you why I wear my faceshield while doing the CA finish on my pens. CA glue in my nose.

Brother, there is nothing like the feeling of ripping 17 nose hairs out at once. Nothing.

Top Bottom