Newbie from the Portland, OR area

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

UW Mitch

Hello, I wanted to introduce myself. I've been a custom knife collector for about the last 9 years. I started making pens on a recently acquired Logan lathe that I bought from a friend and local knifemaker. I was introduced to this forum by a fellow knife collector. I'll share a pen kit I just finished. The body is turned from Timascus (www.timascus.com) - the body is tapered on both ends for that "cigar" look.

I'm looking forward to reading up and learning.

~Mitch

Attachments

• ML_imperial#1_01.jpg
    ML_imperial#1_01.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 111
  • ML_imperial#1_02.jpg
    ML_imperial#1_02.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 96
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

igran7

Welcome Mitch I'm just down the road from you in Clackamas. Glad to have you aboard. That is one very nice looking pen, I can't wait to see more of your work.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Mitch. Beautiful pen! Super!

You don't need the link below to a PDF file but I include this for new members to this forum and do want to let you look it over. It gives a general and concise overview of some of the different tools, methods and ideas related to pen turning. There are a couple of small mistakes in it that hopefully can be corrected soon.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

With a pen like yours, you jumped to the head of the class. Nice!

UW Mitch

Thanks for the welcome guys. Coming from an engineering background, wood turning is hard for me to wrap my head around, but metal makes sense :D I really admire what knifemaker/penmaker David Broadwell has been doing with his work. Simply amazing stuff, that I can only one day hope to come close to in terms of creativity and execution.

Welcome Mitch from Texas
The link in your post didn't work for me anyone else try it?

Yeah, the Timascus guys have some problem with their site. Here's another link to Chuck (one of the partners) who sells it:

http://alphaknifesupply.com/timascus.htm

~Mitch

Top Bottom