New Zealand

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

arv

My wife and I have a couple going to New Zealand on a Mission and my wife would like to have me make them a couple pens from some wood from New Zealand. If you could give me a suggestion of what kind of wood to use and maybe where I can buy it, it would be greatly appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mark

Check with Ed @ Exotic Blanks.

I believe they maybe in the process of getting more Kauri wood.

drjpawlus

Ancient kauri from NZ is really interesting looking and up to 50,000 years old and some of polymer clay art from toni from NZ is wonderful as well.

Rfturner

Kauri is relatively easy to get there but somewhat difficult here states side. Many time the phase Ancient is added to it for all of us Americans to make it sell better here. I have a friend that lives in NZ, and I was asking him about ancient Kauri he knew what Kauri is but not ancient, I have heard of people BBQ it over there. it only grows in NZ and the trees are massive

Toni

Norfolk pine and Macrocarpa are both abundent there and have very nice grain and make nice pens

Also a good wood to burn to warm up the house!! Will do some asking around as to whats available.. I believe rimu is a nice wood to turn.

Last edited:
Top Bottom