New wood...to me

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

The wife and I were in WC today; picked up a new bushing set and generally browsing. The wife is good at finding the bargain tables and bins. Picked up a piece of wood which is new to me: Picana, dark and close grain and heavy for the size, 30-7/16 Long, 15/16 Thick, 1-7/16 wide. Fellow a the store had turned it and said it turns good. I figure to cut it to blank sizes on the bandsaw to keep the kerf to a minimum.
Anyone know of this wood? Any experience with it? Need to check the Janka scale to see if its listed.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

d_bondi

Do you mean Picana Negra? I believe that is also known as Bocote or may be a close relative of it.

Post a picture?

Woodchipper

Hopefully, the photo will come through. Blank is Bocote; long piece is the Picana.
20240504_094209.jpg

pacer_3iii

from WC website:

"Picana (Corida spp.) is a tight-grained, medium-textured wood from Bolivia, a close relative of Bocote, which is evident by its definitive black streaks but with a more reddish tone. It works easily with hand and power tools. Nails and screws well. Common uses of Picana include cabinetry, veneer, paneling, musical instruments, turned objects, and other small specialty wood items."

I think they're being a little misleading or not understanding that Corida spp is Bocote. There are several different names.

XanderPen

Th
from WC website:

"Picana (Corida spp.) is a tight-grained, medium-textured wood from Bolivia, a close relative of Bocote, which is evident by its definitive black streaks but with a more reddish tone. It works easily with hand and power tools. Nails and screws well. Common uses of Picana include cabinetry, veneer, paneling, musical instruments, turned objects, and other small specialty wood items."

I think they're being a little misleading or not understanding that Corida spp is Bocote. There are several different names.
There are so many games being played with wood now to avoid weird restrictions on species.

Top Bottom