New Type Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Looks like PSI is about to introduce a new type lathe or at least a new tailstock to a lathe. Looks interesting but I am not a bowl turner as they use that as an example of where this maybe a good candidate to use. I just this email and here is a link to the video that was included. Now will you all be running out and getting a new lathe?? Do you think this has merit in what they are saying is a need? I have not run into a situation for the things I do with a lathe. Could be interesting.

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/...HI7vlax3FnEpJnZ5DlJ3PzYKfOWF27jNhuKEs=.Ue3WPw

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

It's interesting but I'm not a bowl turner. Not being a bowl turner this might be hogwash, but my understanding is most bowl turners partially turn the bowl and then finish months later giving the wood the chance to further dry and minimize cracking. You'd need a lot of chucks or patience, if that's the way it works.

derekdd

Yeah, I watched their video this morning from the email received.

Interesting development.

SteveJ

It's interesting but I'm not a bowl turner. Not being a bowl turner this might be hogwash, but my understanding is most bowl turners partially turn the bowl and then finish months later giving the wood the chance to further dry and minimize cracking. You'd need a lot of chucks or patience, if that's the way it works.
That's true if you are turning green wood, but dry wood, out segmented wood didn't need months to be ready to finish.

Woodchipper

Just something to sell. I get emails from sports stores: "This is what you need for hunting/fishing!" But I already have all that stuff.

jttheclockman

Just something to sell. I get emails from sports stores: "This is what you need for hunting/fishing!" But I already have all that stuff.
This is true but what is interesting and they make note of it, the last greatest thing done to a lathe is adding digital VS to them. The basic construction and design has stayed the same for many years. It will be interesting to see if other Lathe manufacturers adopt some form of this new design and to see how the true turners look at it. being a pen turner to me is not really a true turner. I am far from being one too but do turn a few other small items. Outboard turning was a new design that took off. The tailstock end not so much.

wood-of-1kind

It's a nice feature with the tailstock feature but not enough of a game changer to rush out and buy a new lathe.
I turn a few small bowls occasionally but I don't think this new style of lathe is that is more convenient than current
traditional models. Saving my coins to spend on other tools. Thanks JT for sharing the link.

jrista

I saw the email for this earlier... They call it a complete reimagining of the lathe, however tailstock chuck adapters have been around for quite some time. I'd say its more of an integration of tools, rather than a reimagining.

It is intriguing that you could mortise a bowl while its still attached to the same chuck you are going to use to hold said mortise. That said, I always try to put a dovetail in my mortises, IF I use one. Most of the time I use a tenon instead, and again dovetail it. Not sure how viable dovetailing either would be with the bowl mounted in the tailstock. I guess you could move it to the headstock first, dovetail, then flip?

Still, you can get a tailstock chuck adapter to do this with pretty much any lathe. You can get both spinning chuck adapters, as well as just a thread adapter that you can use with a drill chuck (which don't spin and are used in the tailstock.) So definitely more of an integration, than a reimagining. Its nice that with this lathe, you just have to flip a lever to lock the spin, that IS handy. Bit small of a lathe, though, for the kinds of bowls I turn, which are generally larger.

dogcatcher

You can accomplish the same thing using this.

PreacherJon

Looks like PSI is about to introduce a new type lathe or at least a new tailstock to a lathe. Looks interesting but I am not a bowl turner as they use that as an example of where this maybe a good candidate to use. I just this email and here is a link to the video that was included. Now will you all be running out and getting a new lathe?? Do you think this has merit in what they are saying is a need? I have not run into a situation for the things I do with a lathe. Could be interesting.

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/turncrafter-tailspinner-lathe-video.html?utm_source=Klaviyo&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Growth Gurus I Penn State I 3171-3.4 Tailspinner Pre-Launch Campaign & Waitlist&utm_id=01HD78W4B5YEJ4BZ0BY8Y0P5W5&_kx=fUsxTIHI7vlax3FnEpJnZ5DlJ3PzYKfOWF27jNhuKEs=.Ue3WPw
I had seen the video when they sent out the email. I don't think it is worth it. It is pretty easy to get on the center line on the turn. And this device will limit bottom options. Besides, I think a tenon is far better. To me, it is gimmicky.

monophoto

You can accomplish the same thing using this.
Exactly.

I've had a Turncrafter lathe for 12 years and I like it a lot. But it has a well documented flaw - the spacing between the bedways is very slightly wider than the width of the protrusion on the bottom of the tailstock casting. As a result, the tailstock can rotate very slightly about a vertical axis - in my case, I measured 0.6 degrees of rotation. That's enough to throw the axis of rotation of the tailstock out of alignment with the axis of rotation of the headstock. In the video, they claim that this new lathe makes it possible to reverse a bowl and achieve 'perfect alignment'. I would argue that unless that tailstock wiggle problem has been resolved, that claim is optimistic.

Like most other 'innovations' in the turning world, this seems to me to be little more than a tweak on existing technology and design. I bought a tailstock adapter a number of years ago, and I find it to be an extremely convenient addition to my tool arsenal. And PSI isn't alone in offering that kind of accessory - OneWay has their own version. This 'new' lathe seems to me to be little more than a conventional lathe with the tailstock adapter incorporated into the tailstock itself rather than as something that fits into the tailstock Morse taper. The only new feature that I can see is the ability to lock the tailstock adapter so that it does not spin freely in its bearings.

Aurelius

Disclaimer, I have never turned a bowl and likely never will.
That said, could someone please explain what this is doing? I get that you can swap the chuck from the tailstock to the headstock but so what? From the video, my first thought was you could have just mounted the chuck on the headstock "normally", done your shaping and brought the forstener bit in with dill chuck in the tailstock, and then flipped it exactly like they did, no?

JimB

I'm primarily a bowl Turner and I also teach others bowl turning. IMO this is not a good bowl turning setup. As others have pointed out there is an accessory available to reverse mount a chuck onto the tailstock so it aligns your bowl with the headstock. I have one from PSI and use it all the time When I am ready to mount the bowl to my vacuum chuck.

Another issue with how they use it in the video is with the bowl in the chuck in the tailstock you are forced to use both the headstock to drive the bowl and the tailstock to hold it. Most bowl turners with the bowl mounted to the headstock will eventually remove the tailstock to shape and make final cuts on the exterior of the bowl. They do this because the tailstock is in the way.

Also, for those who aren't bowl turners, in the video he is cutting in the wrong direction. He should be going from the bottom towards the rim so he has supported grain and eliminate tear out. To cut in the correct direction he would either need to do it left handed or be in an awkward position to do it right handed. Either way the headstock will get in the way.

jttheclockman

I'm primarily a bowl Turner and I also teach others bowl turning. IMO this is not a good bowl turning setup. As others have pointed out there is an accessory available to reverse mount a chuck onto the tailstock so it aligns your bowl with the headstock. I have one from PSI and use it all the time When I am ready to mount the bowl to my vacuum chuck.

Another issue with how they use it in the video is with the bowl in the chuck in the tailstock you are forced to use both the headstock to drive the bowl and the tailstock to hold it. Most bowl turners with the bowl mounted to the headstock will eventually remove the tailstock to shape and make final cuts on the exterior of the bowl. They do this because the tailstock is in the way.

Also, for those who aren't bowl turners, in the video he is cutting in the wrong direction. He should be going from the bottom towards the rim so he has supported grain and eliminate tear out. To cut in the correct direction he would either need to do it left handed or be in an awkward position to do it right handed. Either way the headstock will get in the way.
It sounds like from everyone here that has commented that these lathes are going to be a dud especially if they actually sell a tool already that does what this lathe is suppose to do. Not being a bowl turner I would never pick up on the things you mentioned but sure think others will and maybe they will remake the video or add some thoughts. I have not seen their new catalog so do not know if the lathe is even available yet or they are taking preorders. But the price is not cheap.

RunnerVince

Definitely seems like a gimmick. The headline will be "This NEW Innovation Will COMPLETELY Change How You Turn Bowls, ELIMINATE Mistakes."

Unfortunately, some folks who are trying to get into turning for the first time will fall for it because they don't know any better.

The one guy claims when you turn a bowl, you always plan to take a little off the outside after you flip the bowl. However, most of the bowl turners I've watched on YouTube and those I've seen do demonstrations at SWAT completely finish (sand and add a finish) the outside of the bowl and never touch it again once it's flipped around. My own experience has been the same, and I'm by no means an expert bowl turner.

In fact, for any bowl with non-vertical sides (and even smaller bowls with them), it's a bad practice to turn the outside once you've attached it to the chuck and flipped it. There's way too much opportunity to run your tool or hand into the jaws of the chuck while the lathe is on. At best, that means an early return to your sharpening system, and at worst ruined tools, deep lacerations, broken bones, or severed fingers.

When I've had issues, it's been due to the bowl not being stable on the woodworm screw, resulting in the blank moving on the chuck while turning. If you don't fix that before you flip the bowl and attach the chuck, then of course you'll have to fix it after, but that could be just as bad a problem on this new lathe. The solution isn't needed if you properly mount your blank in the first place, and won't fix the problem if you don't.

Top Bottom