New turner looking for advice!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jonunder

I got my lathe exactly one week ago and have all the tools to turn pens and a pack of Rosewood and Zebra wood blanks. I am looking for ways to get cheap blanks because as a college student I don't want to be throwing money away. Any suggestions? I am very excited for the future and glad to be a part of this forum so far I like it a lot!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

I got my lathe exactly one week ago and have all the tools to turn pens and a pack of Rosewood and Zebra wood blanks. I am looking for ways to get cheap blanks because as a college student I don't want to be throwing money away. Any suggestions? I am very excited for the future and glad to be a part of this forum so far I like it a lot!

G'day,

Welcome to the "madness"...!

If I was you, I would keep those blanks for later and get some practise wood, any old piece of pine or other bits you can lay your hands on, are great to get used to the tools and the finishes. You don't have to have square pieces with the exact average pen blank, dry branches that are at least 1" round, will make you a pen barrel to practice on.

As for cheap blanks, well, it all depends of what type of finish pens you are after, being a student I wouldn't get involved with any stabilising and or casting, leave that for later in the meantime, look at some members here that sell blanks here and other places, like eBay and Etsy, etc...!

A good mix bag of various wood, is a great start, you get used to know names and recognise the woods, try different densities, colours and grains.

Don't worry about those very expensive blanks and fancy names, you have plenty of time to get those, as you will one day have the space, time and money to play with ways to make your own blanks, using resins, etc...!

You may be surprised of how easy is to get wood to make open blanks, without costing you much at all, they are all around you, you just need to look in the right places. Cabinet making, is one of those places where, bin after bin is thrown to the dump with pieces that are useless to them but most suited for pens.

Carry with you one of those small folding pruning saws, you will get home almost everyday with a piece of a dry branch, you will be surprised of how pretty the wood of some of those branches, are...!

If that is not your cup of tea, that's OK too, you just have to spend a few dollars to get the raw material you need...!

Good luck...!

Cheers
George

Alzey

Couple of options.

Find a cabinet shop and ask for scrap wood and scrap solid surface counter top called Corian.

Drive around on trash night and look for broken chairs, tables and other solid wood items. Just make sure you get all the metal out before you get on the lathe.

Search for Corian pen blanks on eBay. You can get 250 for around $40 shipped.

As for practice. Pine is a bit tricky to turn. But if you get a 2x4 and practice making small item and practice with your tool you learn fairly quickly and not spend much and learn a lot

Go to YouTube and search for wood turning. There a lot of great videos out there. Check out Eddie Castalin.

Learn to sharpen your tools. A dull tool is VERY dangerous.

And remember safety. Full face shield, dust mask and NO gloves or loose clothing.

Check out the library here and have FUN!!!!!!!!

This is a very cool and addictive hobby

Welcome to IAP.

Russknan

Welcome to the obsession. You just got some excellent advice, above. So now you know you came to the right place! Russ

Waluy

As others have said look around at cabinet shops for scraps, ebay typically has at least three or four bulk boxes of wood blanks for fairly cheap, also I find a lot of interesting wood on craigslist under the free section, I have wound up with some interesting wood from that like bradford pear what appears to be some spalted walnut (I typically search for firewood and what ever I don't save for pens goes into the burn pile).

Excellent advice!

I can't add anything to this other than send me your address & I will send you some spalted hickory.

G'day,

Welcome to the "madness"...!

If I was you, I would keep those blanks for later and get some practise wood, any old piece of pine or other bits you can lay your hands on, are great to get used to the tools and the finishes. You don't have to have square pieces with the exact average pen blank, dry branches that are at least 1" round, will make you a pen barrel to practice on.

As for cheap blanks, well, it all depends of what type of finish pens you are after, being a student I wouldn't get involved with any stabilising and or casting, leave that for later in the meantime, look at some members here that sell blanks here and other places, like eBay and Etsy, etc...!

A good mix bag of various wood, is a great start, you get used to know names and recognise the woods, try different densities, colours and grains.

Don't worry about those very expensive blanks and fancy names, you have plenty of time to get those, as you will one day have the space, time and money to play with ways to make your own blanks, using resins, etc...!

You may be surprised of how easy is to get wood to make open blanks, without costing you much at all, they are all around you, you just need to look in the right places. Cabinet making, is one of those places where, bin after bin is thrown to the dump with pieces that are useless to them but most suited for pens.

Carry with you one of those small folding pruning saws, you will get home almost everyday with a piece of a dry branch, you will be surprised of how pretty the wood of some of those branches, are...!

If that is not your cup of tea, that's OK too, you just have to spend a few dollars to get the raw material you need...!

Good luck...!

Cheers
George

turncrazy43

Welcome from Georgia, Jonathan. You have certainly chosen a great hobby and this forum will provide a wealth of knowledge and information. Be sure to post some of your work as you go along.

jyreene

First welcome to the fun. And thanks everyone. Now I have to carry a small saw, learn to dumpster dive, and smooth talk a bunch of cabinet shops. And I almost skipped this thread

ChrisN

Welcome from Denver, PA! I think a good place to get blanks is here! Check out the Deals, Trades, Gifts, & Wants forum.

Top Bottom