New to the IAP, but I've been around

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jfawcett

Hello,

I've been turning off and on for a while now, but just recently decided to check out the IAP and see what's up. Nice site, with some pretty good pictures and advice, as far as I can tell.

I've got a Delta midi, and these days I'm loving my Easy Tools rougher and finisher. The only other tool I generally use that's not decorative is the flat skew.

I'm attaching a few pictures of things I've done. The Boradwell Sceptre sone with the Jeff Powell Sax blank, and the Jr. Gent done with his cycling blank were both completed yesterday.

John

Attachments

• jeff_powell_file_pens.jpg
    jeff_powell_file_pens.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 141
  • wood_reinhart_and_others.jpg
    wood_reinhart_and_others.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 108
  • wall_street_with_fuji.jpg
    wall_street_with_fuji.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 142
  • WP_000054 (3).jpg
    WP_000054 (3).jpg
    18 KB · Views: 124
  • sax_sceptre.jpg
    sax_sceptre.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 136
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jfawcett

I'm from the Seattle area. I work full time as a software engineer, so this is a stress-relief/hobby kind of thing for me.

I've done number of different kinds of woodworking, including a ton of scrollsaw fretwork and Intarsia, some cabinetry, and so on. I've made my Grandfather, and my cuckoo, but the lathe was always an add-on tool, for when I needed it. Recently I found myself needing stress relief on a short schedule, and pen turning fit that bill nicely.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Nice to meet you John, and good work on Jeff's blanks!!!

Look forward to seeing more of your pens!

Welcome to IAP,

Ed

ctubbs

Welcome John, from far west Kentucky, to the addiction, sometimes referred to as the vortex. Be sure to give the library a good bit of time. The link is at the top of the page. You will find an article called Library Index. This covers tutorials on about anything pen making you can think of. You will also notice that there are articles listed by year. Much good info there as well. When these fail to answer your questions, by all means post it here. I have never seen one go unanswered very long. You might also want to give this thread a good look. It has some very good info for the beginning pen turner; http://content.penturners.org/librar...en_turning.pdf. Grab some wood, make some shavings and have fun all the while being safe.
Have a look at the series of videos ed4copies has just posted showing how to complete a pen from drill to finish.

Charles

OOPS

Greetings, from Spokane, WA. We have a pen turning club meeting monthly, so in case you're ever over on our side of the state, look us up. We meet at the local Woodcraft store. Glad to have you here.

Top Bottom