New to the association

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pap2544

Hello all, I just recently joined the association and was looking for some advice. Although I am not new to turning I am new to making pens. So far I have really enjoyed making the few I have. My question is this, if I am going to start selling pens I don't want to use cheap parts. I am probably going to start with slim pens (for now). Who should I buy from. Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Welcome, Pat. You have a lot of good vendor choices for slims. Woodcraft, Woodturningz, Bear Tooth Woods, and Craft Supplies USA (CSUSA) to name a few. I think the greatest concern with slim kits is the plating, especially if you intend to sell your wares.

Fred

Welcome to the IAF, Pat. Very glad to have you join up with the fine folks here.

Definitely watch the different platings as it makes ALL the difference in the world. Higher priced kits are usually better plated metal parts. Do a SEARCH for "platings" and see what is within the Forum archives. The SEARCH link is above. :D

PenWorks

Welcome Pat, :) you know what happens to the last guy who joins the association don't you?
You are now the acting president of the association for a month and have to send all the memmbers free pen blanks. If you miss just one member, you are banned.:) Sorry, someone has to bust your chops :D

igran7

Welcome to the group Pat. There are several vendors available for high quality kits. Proud papa of 2 mentioned a few but don't forget Arizona Silhouette, Penn state Industries,& Rockler. If you intend to sell you might want to avoid any pen plated in 24k gold, or 10k gold.

RonInSpringTX

howdy Pat from TX. Welcome to the craziness!!! Cool on the slimline, but believe me, you'll want to expand!!! Igran7 is right on the Penn State Industries, Rockler, & Woodcraft, but I just got a new catalog (well, actually it had my wife's name on it...
hmmmm, I think she's buying stuff behind my back, but I don't see any new shavings in the shop, so I guess I'm ok for now!!! LOL)
anyways, the catalog was from Craft Supplies USA, at web address woodturnerscatalog.com ....don't know why the difference of the names!!!??? You also should check out WoodnWhimsies.com ....that's Tracey & Tim's site, have bought from them several times, some of there prices can't be beat!!! Especially on the cigar pens & the bottle stoppers!!! Again, welcome, look forward to seeing some pics!!! If you do expand your turnings to other pens & stuff, the only thing is I think you'll get frustrated at all the different bushing kits you have to buy, and the different names for the same product!! (ask anybody on here!!!!)
later, Ron

jwoodwright

Welcome Pat. I'm from Trenton and we had a bungalow by Seaside Heights. Went fishing out of Point Pleasant. What a great place to live. This was a lifetime ago... I'm sure it's all grown up.

Originally posted by GoodTurns

LOL! I do have t-shirts older than him (and I'm not old! note to self: keep trying to convince yourself);)

Funny you should mention that, Jon. Last week, I actually rid myself of a t-shirt that I got from an apartment grand opening back in the fall of 1990. If I did the math right, that's a 17-year old shirt. It was in great shape, too. I would have kept it, but I needed the space in my dresser. (Correction: LOML needed the space in my dresser.)

Top Bottom