New to Penturning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cosmo7809

Hello, my name is Chris from NYC.

I am sure you have gotten several related threads as mine, but I wanted to make my own to ask some more detailed questions.

Although I do have some experience when it comes to tools and general construction I am a complete novice when it comes to woodworking.
As a starter to my new woodworking hobby I would like to get into penturning. Over the course of the last few weeks I have been softly researching the hobby.

First and foremost, I need a lathe. At first I considered a Harborfreight or Craftsman Lathe. But due to seeing quite a few "stay away" threads and posts I have looked else where. My father always told me "Buying cheaper costs you more" and I think that falls true when it comes to lathes as well.

Upon some more research I came across this Basic Pen Making Starter Set with Turncrafter Commander 10" Multi Speed Midi Lathe at Penn State Industries It seems like well the Turncrafter Commander is a favorite among new penturners. The reason why I am leaning towards the "Starter Kit" above is because well... its a starter kit. I like how it includes just about everything to get started pen turning the day the package is delivered.

I have some questions regarding the lathe itself. Obviously it will be good for penturning, but what about other woodworking related things like making a small bowl, wood beads, pill canisters and etc. I am trying not to get ahead of myself, but I would like to know that I have the capability for the future. Also, is the lathe itself good? (Please note: While I do not have a problem spending $$$ on quality I do still have a budget of around 350-400)

For now, that is all about I can think of. In the meantime I will continue to check out the "Library" section above.

Thank you, Chris

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Atherton Pens

Just a few thoughts about the starter kit....
1. The Turncrafter lathe is OK, but you would be happier with a Delta or Jet. The tail stock on my Turncrafter has a lot of play in it that has been difficult to remedy. Also, 10 speed is OK but I can't imagine turning and finishing pens without VARIABLE speed.
2. The tools may be OK as starter tools, but again you would probably be happier with higher quality knives.
3. You may soon tire of the slimline kits included in the starter kit and be ready to move on to other component sets.

Try checking Craigslist for used Delta or Jet Variable speed lathes and you might luck out and find someone selling a lathe with tools and other accessories and get a real bargain.

Also, you might want to check this link to an article in the IAP library.

http://content.penturners.org/library/general_reference/Getting_started_in_pen_turning.pdf

There are a lot of other good articles and advice on getting started in the library as well.

Welcome to IAP and the wonderful world of penturning, some of us recognize it for what it is AN ADDICTION!

Enjoy

PS Here is another link to a library article you might enjoy. It is titled "If I had known earlier"...
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f14/if-i-had-known-earlier-46654/

Last edited:

Xander

I'm a relative newbie myself and before I got started I looked at the starter package. Ultimatly I bought a Harbor Freight 10 x 18 and .... it's perfectly fine. Paid well under $200 for it. It is not VS but only takes seconds to change pulleys, and I only use 2 speeds. Slow for drilling and applying CA, Flat out for everything else.

Just this week I started turning other things like boxes with lids, candle holders, etc. It's been an interesting venture( I do NOT have any kink of chuck so I use a faceplate) but very rewarding.

Jarod888

Hello, my name is Chris from NYC.

First and foremost, I need a lathe. At first I considered a Harborfreight or Craftsman Lathe. But due to seeing quite a few "stay away" threads and posts I have looked else where. My father always told me "Buying cheaper costs you more" and I think that falls true when it comes to lathes as well.

Upon some more research I came across this Basic Pen Making Starter Set with Turncrafter Commander 10" Multi Speed Midi Lathe at Penn State Industries It seems like well the Turncrafter Commander is a favorite among new penturners. The reason why I am leaning towards the "Starter Kit" above is because well... its a starter kit. I like how it includes just about everything to get started pen turning the day the package is delivered.

I would recommend getting a Jet 1014 VSI. If you watch amazon you can get it for around 450 every now and then. There is a website which allows you to track Amazon products and set price alerts. Go to Amazon price tracker, Amazon price history charts, price watches, and price drop alerts. | camelcamelcamel.com
In another tab open up amazon and search for the product you want. Once you find it and go to its page on amazon, copy the amazon url and then paste it into the search box in camel. Camel will bring up a graphic indicating the price over the last few years, but you can narrow down that range. You can then register at the site and they will send you email alerts when an item reaches the price point that you want. I would recommend setting your desired price above the lowest price listed.

I am sure that the starter set you linked to is good, but I think you can get some better equipment by picking your own. One thing I notice is that the tools are carbon steel. You will be much happier with high speed steel, or HSS as they will last longer and keep a sharper edge for more time.

I picked up this set from Amazon:
Amazon.com: PSI Woodworking LCHSS8 HSS Wood Lathe Chisel Set, 8-Piece: Home Improvement
That set will provide all the tools you need for a while. When you are more advanced you can pick up more bowl gouges and other tools designed for inside curves and such.

I also think that super glue is a better choice than epoxy.
A pen mandrel and pen mill or squaring device are fairly cheap and you are still going to need some sandpaper, grits from 150 to 600 at a minimum.

I have some questions regarding the lathe itself. Obviously it will be good for penturning, but what about other woodworking related things like making a small bowl, wood beads, pill canisters and etc. I am trying not to get ahead of myself, but I would like to know that I have the capability for the future. Also, is the lathe itself good? (Please note: While I do not have a problem spending $$$ on quality I do still have a budget of around 350-400)

With the Jet VSI 1014 you can turn something up to 10 inches in diameter, although I think that is the advertised maximum. I wouldn't necessarily go that big, but something 9 or so inches would be fine.

For now, that is all about I can think of. In the meantime I will continue to check out the "Library" section above.

Thank you, Chris

I bought the PSI's starter kit, but the one with the 12" Variable Speed Turncrafter Commander lathe, which has been out of stock since I got mine.
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/TCLC12VS-A.html

The lathe in general is good, but the tailstock piece feels like I am wrestling it when trying to advance the quill by means of the handwheel. This is my only complaint about the whole package. It got me well started in the hobby about 7-8 months ago and I still use some of the tools and products that came with the kit.
Another gripe is that PSI has never ever answered me my emails about getting spare parts for my lathe. I would like for example, replace the tailstock, which I feel is defective.
I will say this again, the lathe is just about good. If I was going to make this purchase again, I would choose another lathe.

Last edited:
Top Bottom