New to bowl turning...can you recommend a book or DVD?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Knucklefish

Knucklefish

I have been doing pens a while and want to strat turning some small bowls and boxes. Can anyone recommend a DVD or book I can read to get started?
Thanks,
John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greggas

There are all sorts of great books and DVD's on bowls. David Ellsworth's book is my favorite and Richard Raffan's "Turning Wood" was a good low cost DVD
Having bought many books and a few dvd's when I started I would start at you tube if I had to do over. There are hundreds of video for free that cove just about any type of bowl turning you cant think of.

have fun

David Keller

Bill Grumbine's first DVD is great for basic bowl turning... I think it's called 'Turned Bowls Made Easy'. YouTube is a mixed bag... Some great videos and some terribly dangerous idiots. Check out Bob Hamilton's videos on YouTube... He's got a ton of project based videos that are well done.

65GTMustang

I would agree 100%
Richard Raffan's books and DVD's are about the best you can get - Until you want to get real specific with a particular turners specialties - Raffan goes over the basics of turning, bowls and boxes.
Well worth the money - Or if you have a local AAW join the association, my local association has a very large library - For $3 you can check out the DVD's for a month. Besides that you will learn more than your brain can hold from the member base.
Check out the local group I am a member of the website is http://carolinamountainwoodturners.org/
Check out the monthly galleries, I have several of my pieces posted on the site.
I actually have the pen I made for the Ausie Pen Swap posted on the sight along with a couple of other items.

The national website is
https://www.woodturner.org/

Feel free to contact me anytime if you have questions as you step out into other turning.
Not that I know a lot - but I can tell you what I don't know or the mistakes I have made - which has been the best way to learn...LOL
You usually don't forget the mistake you made when a #25 cut of wood takes off like a bullet across your shop because of doing something stupid when chucking up...LOL

I started out making small 5 to 6 inch bowls
After about 6 or 7 of those I got real interested in lidded bowls / boxes - then Finial lidded bowls.
I can send pictures if you would like to see some of my turnings?
Actually the member's gallery on the CMW site will show you a lot of ideas - My club has some super talented members.

I would encourage you to find your local chapter - our group has a "World Class Turner" demo at each monthly meeting. I'm talking about the big boy's - The guys and gals that get $25K for one of there turnings.

Good Luck!
Let's see some work soon!

Kevin

It sounds like a great group, but they charge you money to rent dvd's? In my club, thats what you pay dues for, I just thought it would be the same for all of them. I guess thats how you get world class turners to do demos.
I would agree 100%
Richard Raffan's books and DVD's are about the best you can get - Until you want to get real specific with a particular turners specialties - Raffan goes over the basics of turning, bowls and boxes.
Well worth the money - Or if you have a local AAW join the association, my local association has a very large library - For $3 you can check out the DVD's for a month. Besides that you will learn more than your brain can hold from the member base.
Check out the local group I am a member of the website is http://carolinamountainwoodturners.org/
Check out the monthly galleries, I have several of my pieces posted on the site.
I actually have the pen I made for the Ausie Pen Swap posted on the sight along with a couple of other items.

The national website is
https://www.woodturner.org/

Feel free to contact me anytime if you have questions as you step out into other turning.
Not that I know a lot - but I can tell you what I don't know or the mistakes I have made - which has been the best way to learn...LOL
You usually don't forget the mistake you made when a #25 cut of wood takes off like a bullet across your shop because of doing something stupid when chucking up...LOL

I started out making small 5 to 6 inch bowls
After about 6 or 7 of those I got real interested in lidded bowls / boxes - then Finial lidded bowls.
I can send pictures if you would like to see some of my turnings?
Actually the member's gallery on the CMW site will show you a lot of ideas - My club has some super talented members.

I would encourage you to find your local chapter - our group has a "World Class Turner" demo at each monthly meeting. I'm talking about the big boy's - The guys and gals that get $25K for one of there turnings.

Good Luck!
Let's see some work soon!

Kevin

nava1uni

I like Richard Raffan's DVDs on turning, as well as, Bill Grumbine's. Our club rents DVD's for $1.00/month. Our club has sawdust sessions showing and allowing members to try their hands at turning something new. I also think that some You Tube videos show very dangerous turning, but there are also good ones. Just carefully weed them out.
CSUSA also has some videos on their site.

keithkarl2007

Glenn Lucas here in Ireland has a great dvd showing all aspects of bowl turning. Some parts of it can be viewed on Youtube.

Top Bottom