NEW STORE SET-UP???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I AM CONSIDERING CHANGEING HOW I DEAL WITH MEMBERS ONLY IN MY STORE.

I AM THINKING ABOUT PRICING EVERYTHING IN THE MEMBERS ONLY AREA AT MY MAXIMUM DISCOUNT REGARDLESS OF QUANTITY. i.e. 20% (25% IN SOME CASES) BELOW THE LIST PRICE IN THE RETAIL SECTION OF THE STORE. THIS WOULD INCLUDE BUSHINGS AND TUBES BUT NOT DRILL BITS OR PARTS.

FLAT RATE SHIPPING WILL APPLY

I MIGHT WELL ALSO CONCENTRATE ON SPECIAL BUYS - EITHER PREPRODUCTION OR SETS NOT GENERALLY AVAILABLE FROM OTHER SOURCES LIKE THE LE ROI ELEGANT MAJOR WHICH IS A DAYACOM KIT MODIFIED TO MY SPECIFICATION.

I WILL BE DOING THIS TO REDUCE INVENTORY DUE TO MY ADVANCING AGE AND KNOWN HEALTH PROBLEMS.

TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK, AND WHAT I MIGHT BE ABLE TO DO TO MAKE THINGS BETTER FOR MEMBERS?

HERE IS WHAT HAS HAPPENED. YOU WILL SEE IN MY STORE ITEMS MARKED "XXX SETS - SCM ONLY" (SCM STANDS FOR SMITTY'S CLUB MEMBERS).

THESE ITEMS ARE SOLD ONLY TO CLUB MEMBERS AND THEIR PRICE IS SET TO BE AS LOW OR LOWER THAN THE LOWEST QUANTITY DISCOUNT PRICE OFFERED TO NON-MEMBERS.

THE MEMBER'S PRICE APPLIES REGARDLESS OF THE QUANTITY PURCHASED SO IF I GIVE A NON-MEMBER A 20% DISCOUNT FOR PURCHASING 5 OR 10 KITS, MEMBERS GET THAT PRICE FOR ANY QUANTITY.

I MAY STILL FROM TIME TO TIME OFFER MEMBERS QUANTITY DISCOUNTS ON INDIVIDUAL ITEMS GIVING AN EVEN LOWER PRICE.

YOU MUST ENTER THE MEMBER'S ONLY AREA TO BUY THESE ITEMS AND GET THE DISCOUNT PRICE.

DROP IN AND SEE US NOW AND THEN....PRICES ARE GOOD, SERVICE IS GOOD, PRODUCTS ARE EXCELLENT.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kovalcik

Simple is good. I would take advantage of a blanket discount. I am not a high volume pen maker, so getting the quantity discounts for fewer pens bought without waiting for a special sale appeals to me.

I also like the preproduction sales. I like getting the new styles and I like the modifications you come up with. An added bonus, I always forget about them so when they appear in my mailbox a couple months later it is a nice surprise!

In the end, please choose the option that will let YOU continue to provide your kits with the least stress. The LeRoi line of pens are my most made and best sellers so I selfishly would like the supply to continue.

Thanks

Last edited:

walshjp17

I agree with Tom. I like the way you've been operating and your planned changes for Members Only seems to be worthwhile.

The Penguin

why have "members only" pricing?

why not go to blanket discount pricing like other vendors? (ie, buy 10 kits = 10% off, 25 kits = 15% off, etc...)

Karl_99

Sometimes in the Member's Only section, there are too many options and it gets confusing as to what bundle or set has what.

Would it be simpler to do away with the Member's Only section and just run specials and discounts as you want to?

I really like the new Major kits and have tried some of your other kits because of the specials.

Marc

If your goal is to reduce inventory, it seems to me that you are trying to do that with a faster sell-through concept. While that may reduce inventory on hand, it should also greatly increase inventory turn, which means the pace of your business will have you receiving and shipping more frequently.

Since part of your concern has to do with health, would this added pace magnify those issues? I would bet you have analyzed your sales volume and have a solid handle on the percentage of business between members and non-members. If you can maintain a good enough margin to justify the faster pace associated with this theory, only you can determine if your working capital leverage returns work for you.

Perhaps a couple of test runs can help generate enough information to help you decide?

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Sometimes in the Member's Only section, there are too many options and it gets confusing as to what bundle or set has what.

Would it be simpler to do away with the Member's Only section and just run specials and discounts as you want to?

I really like the new Major kits and have tried some of your other kits because of the specials.
Going the way I am considering would reduce the number of alternatives.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
why have "members only" pricing?

why not go to blanket discount pricing like other vendors? (ie, buy 10 kits = 10% off, 25 kits = 15% off, etc...)
Because although I sell to the general public, my business plan is aimed at IAP members who become Smitty's Club members. I have kicked around making the whole website members only and might go that way.

Bocere1

A few bucks to get discounts on something I want to buy and it's good for a whole year...sits good with me. I like the members section.

How about limited edition buy's for members only, on pen's not currently on the market or something spec'ed by you, sold to us at NON-discounted rates that we can re-sell as limited edition. A "preproduction" buy for members only.

The website does seem to have alot of multiple entries.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
personally - I don't want to pay to be a "member" just to buy stuff. It doesn't sit well with me.
Well then there are a couple of options - join during the birthday bash when I give free memberships - join at a time when I give free memberships to people who join a particular preproduction buy, like the one now for Le Roi Elegant Clicks or don't join and pay full price on any purchases you might make.

knowltoh

Smitty,

Do what will work best for you. I can adapt to that. All of my purchases of kits during the past couple of years have been through you. I appreciate your prices and customer service, and take advantage of the preproduction sales. The cost of membership was a non-issue for me as cost savings on kits have been substantial.

SAWDUST 101

Passed Away Jan 7, 2018
In Memoriam
Hi Smitty,

I believe what ever you decide to do is and will be alright with the IAP members, the members only club and the general public. I for one have been very satisfied with any changes made in the past and I know any changes made will be for the best.

You are going to have to look out for #1 and what is best for you and only you can be the judge of that. That being said, I'll watch and abide with your decisions. We need your good health.

Don

Bean_Counter

I just became a member with the recent production by. As I was going through my kits this weekend I noticed that about 40% of them are labeled SPW. I am in love with the JG's, Le Roi, Le Roi long barrel, and cigars (too bad they are gone, hint hint) and these move really well for me and have great finish options. The test market thing was really cool. I don't mind paying a small fee for these buys and wish I would have sooner. BTW alot of people are member's at Sam's and Costco so why not SPW? As others have said do what works for you and your health and you know you will still have your loyal buyers like me!

nascrdad

Hi Smitty. I think you should keep it as simple as possible for you, we can adapt to anything you need to do. I don't buy much, but the $10 I spent to get in was saved in my first order. Your products are great, and you can't beat the prices. Thanks for all you do for us.

Top Bottom