P1110094.jpg

3 3/4" wide by 3 1/4" tall
P1110089.jpg

group pics
P1110155.jpg

P1110150.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Thank you

I use a mixture of tools depending on the shape and size of the opening- my main tools are home made one's similar to David ellsworths, the mini rolly munroe and a trent bosch swan neck- all used free hand- no jigs/rigs

RogerH

Absolutely works of art, every one of them. Amazingly beautiful !!! You are an unbelievably skilled turner of hollow forms. And all done freehand.

If I may ask, how long have you been turning works of art like these?

Just stunning. Looks like stuff you'd see in an art museum.

Thank you for all of your kind comments

Roger: I have been turning since i was 19 and i'm now 33-I started to do hollow forms about a year after i started turning but it has only been in the last couple of years that i have been happy with the majority of my forms.

jhprice

Just when I was thinking that I was "getting it." Kind of like when David Ellsworth set his work next to mine at the instant gallery in Pasadena. Keeps me humble. I have miles to go before I sleep. Excellent work there.

robutacion

G'day George,

Mate, you are certainly doing great work and I'm amazed of the quality and natural beauty of that spalted beech of yours.

You obviously have a good supply of it and that is good but, one other thing that I have been noticed in all the pieces you have been making out of that spalted beech is that, the wood is nearly flawless, rarely seen a crack or a flaw...!

Someone mention about your work as been identical to what he sees in the art galleries, well, your work is "gallery" quality and deserves to displayed on some of them with a sale tag of matching "significance"...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Last edited:
Thank you for your kind comments

JimB: the bottoms do have a flat area for the piece to sit on- except for the ash piece which has a foot.

George: I buy all of my beech freshly felled from a woodland which is about 5 miles from my home- the woodland is around 400 acres and is mainly beech and oak with some ash too. they thin the trees or take out disease or tree's which they feel may fall over and be a hazard- the wood normally goes for paper. I buy it in large sections and lay it up to spalt, there is some splitting on the end grain but because the log was so big to begin with I can trim that away and still have enough good wood for my forms

keithlong

Very Nice work, I love the spalted Beech. Gonna have to run me down some of that. As a matter of fact I know where some is. Gonna have to get out the saw. Thanks for sharing. That is one thing on my todo list. Gonna have to try to do a little hollowing.

hilltopper46

Wonderful, wonderful turnings. I would be interested in knowing a little about how you achieve the detail around the openings, if you care to share. Is that done freehand as well?

Thanks for posting these.

Thank you

Tony: the carving is done freehand- simply prepare the area to carve cutting it as cleanly as possible then using either a "v" or "u" profile gouge carve slowly and carfully around the neck

Top Bottom