New Slimelines~Millefiori Polymer Clay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Toni

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

daveeisler

But I srill do not see how you can get a flower design in the clay, I am thinking clay as it used to mold in to a design, play do. the more I read, the more confusing,

workinforwood

I may be wrong Dave, but I think what I see is the same as veneering. You buy the clay in cubes over at Micheal's. You roll it out real thin. You cut the flower pieces with an exacto blade from the different colors you have. The tube is wrapped with a solid base color. The very thin flower pieces are placed on to the base color around the pen. Each tiny piece one at a time I suppose until you have the flowers on the pen. Then you would use something like perhaps a shiny delrin rod that clay will not stick to and you very carefully and gently roll the pen to push the flower pieces into it. So each flower piece would originally have been just slightly smaller before they are pressed. As the flower pieces press into the pen they would spread out just a bit and the colors would blend into the background and any pieces next to themselves just a slight bit, causing an eye pleasing transition of colors. It is a delicate hobby of patience. It's like intarsia really. You do it for the challenge and at the same time it is a labor driven by love which results in inner peace. True art is goes beyond any financial reward you can ever achieve from it.

Congrats on making the cover too Toni !!! Three years and I still haven't come up with anything good enough for that!:redface:

glycerine

That's actually really fascinating. I have always been into various forms of art, but haven't taken the time to play with polymer clay yet. Maybe soon, maybe soon...

Toni

I really do need to be in the US, considering all the fun goes on while I am asleep!!

Jeff It is the brushed satin silver I really like the look it gives with my work.

Thank you everyone for the congrats on being on the front page it took me by surprise and to honest I didnt even know how you got on there, until Jeff posted and I was still confused. Pretty amazing seeing them there, still cant believe it!!

Oh Keith you know you are my hero!! Thank you for helping out explaining millefiori and how its done, I was ummm.....sleeeping:cool:

I would very much like to return to the US, I am an East Coast Girl(I will be close to keith to torture..LOL oh Keith we could do classes together!!) like I said need to find work for my husband and then we will return, prospects for work is zero at the moment:frown:

erebus

Toni,
Beautiful work, Truly amazing. I looked up on how to make a flower cane on youtube and found this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6172lxLvqc&feature=related

Now the video is a lot of work and the detail is nothing compared to yours....

the distortion only occurs when the slices arent thin enough, which takes a lot of practice.

Just curious, how thin are you slicing?

Thanks,
Daryl

Last edited:

Toni

Hi John~Thank you very much, kinda nice showing that the southern hemisphere has talent(ehmm...even if I am a jersey girl).

Daryl~I will look at the video later(It wouldnt load on my computer) Of coarse its nothing compared to mine..LOL because its not me on there..I think there is something on youtube about me, maybe the 2nd place award for bead arts..

Ok, not going to like my answer, warning you now, my slices are paper thin. I am talking you can see the blade sliding under the slice as I do it.. Its pretty scary how I slice a cane, probably make the men shudder at the thought..hehehe

Toni

Tim~Thank you!!!

Archie~I dont know how you missed it either:) I have every intention of offering my tubes for sale, when that time will be I dont know, hopefully soon.

Top Bottom