New "Russline" adaptation

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rkm6460

rkm6460

Decided to take another run at the Russline style, and this one was running around my head for a couple of days. Upper is Ebony with aluminum flashing bands, lower is Bocote. Pretty happy with how it turned out, but it may be one of those that is hard to part with! The second one is out of an Ipe spindle that had been given to me some time ago.

DSC03468_large.JPG
DSC03466_large.JPG

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jzerger

I love the variation.Are these "euro/designer" without the tenon cut? I recall some using guitar string for the "bands"...how do you get them colored like this? Not sure I'm ready (newbie) to try it but am intrigued.
john

rkm6460

John, this is just a slimline kit. I followed the design of Russ Fairfield, his website is here: Pen41. You can either "eyeball" the thickness in the center or use a larger bushing...I used a Comfort Pen bushing from PSI for the diameter of the lower blank but just did the upper by feel. The "bands" are just aluminum flashing that I glued in to the blank...cut off some pieces of the blank and make an aluminum sandwich!

I love the variation.Are these "euro/designer" without the tenon cut? I recall some using guitar string for the "bands"...how do you get them colored like this? Not sure I'm ready (newbie) to try it but am intrigued.
john

rkm6460

I should've mentioned in the first post, and just in case you didn't know, these are both done with Slimline kits. Sure makes a nice alternative to a designer/euro, and is kind of fun to make. Russ Fairfield's instructions to get you started if you need it: Pen41. That's what I followed the first time and it was very helpful. Thanks for the kudos, everyone!

Robert111

Nice looking pens! The ipe is very nice, and I like the ebony cap on the other. Bocote always leaves me cold. Can't say why. Maybe it's the prominent grain lines. Still beautiful workmanship. The aluminum rings add a perfect touch!

Top Bottom