New PROPER dovetails

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

Status
Not open for further replies.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I had to do this after taking a bit of stick about my 'His and Hers' as not being proper dovetails, cos half the joint was on the top and the other half on the bottom of the pen. This was trickier to do but fun.
I'm gonna try get a smaller router bit for my next attempt. The wood is Olivewood. I think it's a bit busy and prefer my first ones.

I've also just seen Mr Boones snake pen, excellent. I want to engrave a comic Rat on a blank soon and think I'll use the same colour that he did.

200612520468_True%20dovetails.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Cool idea, Steven.

I agree that the smaller dovetail would be more interesting, but there has to be a first generation and this one is certainly nice!

rapost

Are those fancy "jig type" dovetails with a thin band of Purpleheart in there?? You get an "A" for execution, colos and creativity. That's a cool pen and I don't think it's too busy at all....

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Well spotting of the 'bands' Rick, but honesty being the best policy I have to admit they weren't deliberate. I did the joint on a Trend cdj300 fixed jig, and just couldn't make the cuts shallow enough to fit on a pen without making it too fat for a slimline. To make tighter joints, the bit has to be deeper. The purpleheart bands ( I wish ) are just CA and the blue acrylic sanding dust. The mix looked ok when I stuck it in, but got clearer after finishing. My next one will be spot on though!![:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom