New Project...casting help needed.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redneckmedic

After seeing the motel key pen by another feller on here, it got me thinging about layered pens. I want to make a series of blanks from book pages, more specifically a Bible , not rolled around the tube, but stacked. Somehow gluing the pages by soaking them or individually CA drops. I'm pretty certain that stabilization wouldn't hurt, but not sure that it would work to hold the pages together enough to turn.

I might try a phone book first.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

After seeing the motel key pen by another feller on here, it got me thinging about layered pens. I want to make a series of blanks from book pages, more specifically a Bible , not rolled around the tube, but stacked. Somehow gluing the pages by soaking them or individually CA drops. I'm pretty certain that stabilization wouldn't hurt, but not sure that it would work to hold the pages together enough to turn.

I'm sorry if this disappoints you but, the idea is not original, I remember to have seen a few threads about this very same issue and great discussions were held in regards to the most effective ways to glue the paper to built up the layers t a common pen blanks size.
I don't remember exactly what was said as the best way to go about but, a search on IAP resources/library may produce the results you require...!

Good luck,

Cheers
George

Fatdawg

I'm sorry if this disappoints you but, the idea is not original, I remember to have seen a few threads about this very same issue and great discussions were held in regards to the most effective ways to glue the paper to built up the layers t a common pen blanks size.
I don't remember exactly what was said as the best way to go about but, a search on IAP resources/library may produce the results you require...!

Good luck,

Cheers
George

In addition to the threads here on the forum, the August 2012 issue of Woodturning Design magazine did a full article on the entire process "Making a pen from a paperback book". Do as you wish but I would use something other than the Holly Bible for this project.

KenV

Even earlier -- I think it was an article in AAW Journal -

Glue used was wood glue and getting moisture out was a challenge. Took a long time to get a bowl sized blank prepared and dry.

You might be on a roll with a block of pages and Cactus Juice with the block of page under compression.

Interesting project

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I did a book for someone about 6 months ago. I held the book closed with rubber bands and placed it in a stabilizing tank. It worked out great and is now sitting on someones shelf holding their valuables.

redneckmedic

I did a book for someone about 6 months ago. I held the book closed with rubber bands and placed it in a stabilizing tank. It worked out great and is now sitting on someones shelf holding their valuables.

After you stablized the book, did the pages stay adhered together once dry?

I expected the "don't mess with he bible" responses... for those worried about my judgement from God in this matter, I much appreciate your concern(without satire). However if you remember your scriptures the authority is placed on the Word, not an object like a book, necklace, or building. Not to mention this project is for my two best friends, both Baptist pastors, one being my brother :biggrin:

nanosec12

stonepecker

I won't say 'where' in my travels I seen this. I was sent on my job and found an empty church. The windows had been broken. Birds had found their way into the building and we using it to roost. On a platform, there was a book rest and laying there, open, was a bible. I remember looking at the printing date in the cover.... and there was a date that was over a hundred years old.
It was sad to see this church unused and the condition it was in. Sadder was all the droppings everwhere and over everything.
Personally, I think that using a bible for such a project......with respect......that the LORD would understand the meaning in your heart.
Please keep us informed on how the project works out for you.

Top Bottom