New PR experiment - red, white &blue (UPDATE)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

alamocdc

I made this up a few days ago and have been waiting for it to cure enough to cut. Using my "alternative" coloring method it seems to take two days instead of one, but I'm patient (sometimes). [}:)] I have noticed that the translucent pearls and metal flakes "harden" better than the solids. The solids seem to be somewhat pliable, so I don't know how it will turn, but I'll find out tonight. This is Chrystal White with pieces of the Blue Pearl I did last week and my failed Bloodred particle bowling ball. The ball turns well, it just won't straighten. Anyway, here is what I came up with.

20056921214_rwb_cast.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elody21

Wow!!!! Those look like they were worth waiting for! Now for the pens!!

btboone

Very interesting. It didn't occur to me to include previously hardened pieces. For some reason I had assumed that they needed to be cast at the same time. That must be how the flecks type resin works. The must mold a thin sheet of material and let it cure, scratch up the surface, break it into small pieces, and add them to the wet resin. Sounds like experiment time!

btboone

Another thought occured to me on the flecks type resin; I bet the fine lines in the pieces come from simply stressing the thin cured polyester to the breaking point. It gets those fine stress cracks when it's flexed. They are so fine that they wouldn't fill back up with resin when they are added to wet mix of resin. The small pieces of material have fine line structures on the flecks themselves that shine the reflected light in different directions. I've always wondered how they do that and it looks like seeing your samples helped make the connection there. Thanks Billy!

alamocdc

First, thanks! Secondly, I'm gald my little experiment could be of assistance to some and kick start others. Like Eagle says, "It's all about thinking outside the pen". Okay, maybe he doesn't say it quite like that, but you get the idea. While he tends to think more outside the "kit", for now I tend to think more outside the "blank". Anyway, talk about a PITA! [:(] I've never had so much trouble turning anything. Pieces of red and blue flying everywhere. Even using the scraper technique I had to stop every now and then and CA a piece back in place. Some I couldn't find, so I made them. Some I couldn't do either, so I used shavings. Took me about two hours just to get it turned to shape. Once that was done it finished just fine. Putting it together was easy as well, but the twist mechanism doesn't work (second PSI mechanism I've had go bad, but they replace them without question). I just have to try and figure out how to get it apart now and get the twist out so I can replace it.

20056105121_RWB_Designer.jpg
<br />
Lessons learned:
1) I think if I'd roughed up the cubes of red and blue, they would have adhered better to the newly cast resin.
2) I think I used too much Chrystal White to allow the PR to harden properly.
3) Next time try mixing the Chrystal White with ??????? instead of PR. (Sorry, my little secret for now! I've already given you guys too many ideas.[:D])

lkorn

First, the pen is really nice looking, great idea, using hardened parts. Let us know if it holds up in use.

Next, if thats the PSI "PKMONT-PAR" its easy, Just pull it apart, then unthread the tranny. I haven't done any of the other Euro's, so I can't help there.

Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />but the twist mechanism doesn't work (second PSI mechanism I've had go bad, but they replace them without question). I just have to try and figure out how to get it apart now and get the twist out so I can replace it.

20056105121_RWB_Designer.jpg
<br />
Lessons learned:
1) I think if I'd roughed up the cubes of red and blue, they would have adhered better to the newly cast resin.
2) I think I used too much Chrystal White to allow the PR to harden properly.
3) Next time try mixing the Chrystal White with ??????? instead of PR. (Sorry, my little secret for now! I've already given you guys too many ideas.[:D])

btboone

I've gotten Euros apart by getting a long thin piece of metal (I think I had a piece of brass from a hobby shop) and tapped it out. Cut the rod just longer than it has to be to keep it as stiff as possible. I just held the pen by hand while rapping the brass with a small hammer to keep from scratching the surface.

lkorn

When the pen is fully assembled, the upper barrel is screwed to the lower. The fit for the intermediate end of the lower barrel is very tight. The transmission is slightly looser. instead of unscrewing the top, just grip tight and PULL. The tranny will come out still attached to the lower barrel. Then replace it, and press it back together using only your hands. You can make adjustments to the grain alighment this way as well.
<br />Thanks, guys! Larry, it is a PKMONT-PAR, but I don't think I understand. The tranny pressed in. How do i "unthread it" like you suggest?

alamocdc

Thanks, Larry, I tried that last night. It pulled out of the lower barrel even though it was a good pressed fit. I suppose I could glue it back in and try again, or do you have a better suggestion?

lkorn

I never had the lower fitting pullout, lucky I guess. At this point I WOULD glue (probably use minute epoxy for strength) and try again. OR, get another fitting to screw in to the transmission and pull with a pair of pliers. You'll destroy the center fitting, but not the pen. Try the epoxy first, give it plenty of time to cure.

<br />Thanks, Larry, I tried that last night. It pulled out of the lower barrel even though it was a good pressed fit. I suppose I could glue it back in and try again, or do you have a better suggestion?

Ben

GIVE ME A BREAK!!!

elody21

Hey the pens look great!!! Bummer that they were so difficult to turn. You never know when you combine 2 seperate types of material like that. Those are just in time for the 4th. of July!!! The material, before it is turned,reminds me of the rectangle Brachs candy we used to get as a kid! Mmmmmmmmmmmm Nummy! Was it called nougat something?

alamocdc

Thanks, Alice, that's just what one of the ladies at work said (about the candy). I hadn't thought of it until she mentioned it. We couldn't remember what it was called either.

53Jim

Billy,
I like the looks of the pen, but (personally) i think it might look better with smaller chunks of color. That way , maybe, you could do more colors, or maybe a color pattern, kinda like the gradient sunglasses, darker at the top fading to almost nothing at the bottom.

JUST MY THOUGHTS. The pen does look very nice the way it is. Congrats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom