New photo technique, C&C

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy Simmons

Been working on a new technique for photoing my pens. I like it, pretty much, so far.

I just bought a mirror tile, set it inside a cloth light box, and started taking pics.

Only thing I want to be able to do is get a truer white background, white cloth of any sort isn't doing the trick.

Tell me what you think.

Randy

Attachments

• IMGP2521.jpg
    IMGP2521.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 327
  • IMGP2542.jpg
    IMGP2542.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 366
  • IMGP2529.jpg
    IMGP2529.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 341
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy Simmons

In case you're interested, (left to right) Mango heart in gold ti/rhodium triton, maple burl in rhodium jr gent 2, buckeye burl in black ti jr gent 2

there's a ton more photos on my website, so check it out if you like.

Carl Fisher

Personally I like the 2nd picture, but have a hard time focusing on the pens in the 1st and 3rd picture.

Having them flat on the mirror makes it a bit busy to my eyes. Elevating the pen onto the cap as in the second puts some buffer between the reflection image and makes it much easier to see.

BSea

I like the photos with the exception of your depth of field. I struggled with that too. Then finally, I decided to spend a couple of afternoons learning how to get my pictures really in focus. You have to get in manual mode and use a larger f stop to get better depth of field. More than likely, this will involve using a tripod, and either the timer on your camera, or a remote shutter to prevent any movement from the camera.

1st, let me say, I'm far from an expert. But I have see a big improvement in my photos since I spent the time to learn how to use the manual mode on my camera.

Another thing you might try is a light grey background. I think a stark white is a little harsh. Look at what professional photographers use for a backdrop. I need to do this too. I use a grey fabric, and in close ups, I see too much detail of the fabric. I'm looking for something that will not be a distraction in close ups.

As far as the mirror, I like that aspect of the photos. Like joefyffe mentioned, it does let you see more of the blank.

brownsfn2

Wow. The second pen is really stunning. I cant believe that is Maple.

As for the photos... I like the second one best. I have tried to use a mirror before but just cant get the hang of it. Great job though.

Randy Simmons

I've been looking into how I could mute the reflection, as the wrong angle will mess with your head. What does anyone think of putting a piece of glass on top of the mirror?

I don't like using fabric as a base, the fuzz gets on my nerves :rolleyes:

Altering the f-stop is a bit tricky for me, I find that the lights produce too much glint on the metal at a slower shutter speed.

BSea

I've been looking into how I could mute the reflection, as the wrong angle will mess with your head. What does anyone think of putting a piece of glass on top of the mirror?
That's an interesting idea. I'd like to see that.

Altering the f-stop is a bit tricky for me, I find that the lights produce too much glint on the metal at a slower shutter speed.
Are you using a light tent? If not, that should cut down on the glint from the lights.

Janster

QUOTE "Do you not use props? I feel they can be distracting if they are not too simple."

I do not find the "reflections" a plus to show off your "OUTSTANDING" craftsmenship. It is OK , just not my "cup of tea". Very nice looking pens. Be well..........Jan

Randy Simmons

That's an interesting idea. I'd like to see that.

Are you using a light tent? If not, that should cut down on the glint from the lights.

So, I tried it

I think it did a slightly better job of downplaying the reflection, making it easier for one's mind to determine the "real" pen, if you understand my meaning.

And yes, I am using a light box, with 2 incandescent and 2 fluorescent bulbs, plus flash. They balance out to a slightly cool bright white light (say that five times fast) that works the best. The fluorescents, however, aren't powerful enough to penetrate the sides of the box, so I have them positioned in front, and coupled with flash, it can glare. I don't have budget for brighter lights, either :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMGP2545.jpg
    IMGP2545.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Top Bottom