New Penturner

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wingnut

Howdy! Just started turning pens and must admit its very addictive and fun! Ive been reading a lot of posts and gleaning some great information. Someday I hope to be able to contribute!

Wyndell

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LeeR

Wyndell, welcome to the forum, from Colorado. I agree about the addiction. I started a few months ago, with enough time to make about 20 pens for Christmas gifts. Most anything else would have seemed like a burden, but I thoroughly enjoyed the task of making so many for family and friends. Besides turning pens, I'm doing other turnings, and now I look at things in the shop, or in the kitchen, and say "That could use a new handle!" ...

ctubbs

Before you get too involved, Wyndell, give the library a good going over. There you will find a treasure of great info on everything pen making or just about. Welcome from west Kentucky. Grab some wood, make shavings and keep smiling.
Charles

Wingnut

Thank you all! Ive made about a dozen pens and really enjoying it every chance I get. Ive had a few blowouts today. One was Koa and I was afraid it was going to happen. It had some very nice figuring and seemed to be weak in a few spots. I put some thin CA on it but should have been more patient I suspect.

Ive been doing slimlines mostly. I made some with beads, coves etc but decided I like the look a plain to a slight 'football' shape better, seems more classic. I just started using CA for a finish and like how fast it is. I had be using Tru-oil and like the finish and feel but its a very slow process.

Top Bottom