New Pen with new display stand

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from massman

Status
Not open for further replies.

massman

This pen is the result of scraps around the shop and for my own use. But the display stand is something I made tonight following Dario's direction on a recent posting. Super easy Thanks Dario!!:D

Bernie

www.writingwood.com

2006101704151_antlerbebp.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

massman

Dario wrote the following:
Posted - Aug 25 2006 : 5:06:09 PM US Eastern Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again I want to mention that I got the idea from Fangar (James). Here is how I'll do it...

1. Make a cardboard piece/pattern (this is the step I missed ). It will be flimsy but just try it (on various pens) to check the actual length you'll need. I think you'll come up anywhre 6" - 7" long total. Do factor in where you want the tip of the pen to be.

2. Decide on the width of the stand...I think you only need an inch or so. Make sure you have enough to support your pen.

3. Cut a flexiglass strip depending on the dimensions you got from your pattern. Use the thinnest plexiglass you can get (easier to bend )

4. Drill the hole that will hold the nib (so the pen won't slip down). I chose to use a small brill bit and not too deep so it won't be too visible but it is up to you. Note that small hole may not hold a closed pen RB or FP well.

5. Sand all the sides. I used my sander to define the shape, round the edges and remove all the major saw marks. On the part that will be the top, I sanded a shallow crevice to help hold the pen from slipping. Then manually sand it through a course of 220, 320, 400, 600 then entire course of MM) This all depends on how nice you want your sides to come out to. NOTE: avoid sanding the flat surface of the plexi.

6. Bend. To bend I used a candle. You can also use a lighter if you wish. Know where you need to bend and start heating it SLOWLY. DO NOT put the fire too close the plexi and keep it moving. Once you feel it getting soft enough, bend it to desired shape. It will take a few minutes to cool down and settle on the new shape. CAUTION. Plexi will be hot. DO NOT wet the plexi to cool down, it might cause it to crack.

Sanding the sides takes the longest...otherwise, it is fairly fast to make these stand.

Hope this info helps you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dario
San Antonio, TX USA

johncrane

G'DAY Bernie its good you have found a use for your scraps' l do the same. your pen amd stand looks good. l better find Dario's post.I also would like too make a stand.now with your pen there is one thing l would of done. That is put the white between the red and blue. but thats just me dont take any offence mate. [:)]

massman

Thanks JC... I agree with the White Antler in the middle but the BEB was the largest scrap so I put it in the middle. I have another scrap slimline from tonight. More Antler with BOW

Thanks

Bernie

www.writingwood.com

200610172043_scrapslimline.jpg
<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom