New pen Styles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

reddwil

Just curious, Has anyone tried the new Reinhart and Trition pens that Ernie is selling at Bear Tooth. They Look nice in the photos, just wondering what there like in the hand.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mark

I've only made the Reinhart. It's very much a Navigator in new hardware.

I think the next one will be done with beveled sides to match the hardware.

I like the style, but I'm very heavy into Majestic Jr's right now.

reddwil

The hardware is what caught my eye. The bolt shape is a little more manly. I was thinking that it might be a little more appealing to men which I have a hard time selling the screw off pens to. I've also been told that they use the same bushings as the Navigator and the Jr's which I have plenty of.

jskeen

Actually, I believe they use the same bushings as the navigator, baron and sedona. They MAY be the same as the bushings for the original jr gent 1 that is available from some folks around here now. I don't think the bushings from a jr gent 2 would even fit, larger tubes and a totally different critter.

jimm1

I just turned some amboyna for a Rhinehart. Looks okay, but I will probably take the blanks back off the pen and turn something more "chunky" for it, then use the amboyna for another, nicer Navigator. The bolts' appearance makes me think that the turnings need to be a little heavier than a traditional flat turn. (Does that make sense?)

reddwil

My mistake there jskeen. The Reinhart i was told uses the Navigator's bushings, Trition uses Jr/ . I tend to think faster than I type. I just ordered a couple of each so we'll see. Thanks for the replys

Last edited:

johnnycnc

I made a Triton, using Jr Gent II bushings as a perfect match.
It is a nice kit, somewhere between the Jr Gent II and Jr Statesman II,
leaning in embellishment more towards the Jr Statesman.
it is here:
TRITON
It feels good, went together alright, and the cap threads are okay in my book.
Worth a try for variety!
The Reinhart lists what amount to Baron bushings, btw, so you can use those
if you already have them for it.
I have not tried a Reinhart, the large number of flats are not really to my taste.
These two kits using existing bushings is a step in the right direction for the kit makers in my opinion. The drills are the same also.

broitblat

I just did a Reinehart. I kinda' like the hex shape (see SOYP thread), but it seems a little heavy relative to the blank if turned B-B.

-Barry

toddlajoie

I turned a Reinheart in acrylic, and I sort of like it, but I agree with Johnny that the hexagons don't do it for me. I personally would LOVE it if they would update the Nav/Barrons to not have the black threads. In fact, I've considered swapping the Reinharts and a Nav's hardware so I could do a Nav with nice threads, and make the Reinhart with the black threads (and sell or give that one away), but the Reinhart is only available in Chrome or Gold here locally, and I can't bring myself to pirate an $18 kit to upgrade a $9 one.

In the end, I like the weight, and the feel of the pen, but the look of the hexagons is lost on me (tho that could change if I see one made with a faceted body to match...)

Triton I have not tried yet, but I'd like to, and the Electra looks interesting also, as I've personally LOVED the Zen, but the threaded ends (end cap and nib) coming loose all the time is wearing on me, so I'd like to see if one of these threaded cap ones have the same look without those problems.

Top Bottom