New Pen and new photo setup

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alzey

This is pen #6 and the first one that is not a pre cut/drilled blanks. It is a trimline kit from a PSI pen turner starter kit. The finish is sanded to 600 then 8 coats CA/BLO that I used 0000 steel wool on ever other coat.

I have no idea what the wood it. It is from a board I found in my grandfather's cabinet shop. When drilling and turning the shavings looked like chocolate milk power.

Attachments

• SDC13206.jpg
    SDC13206.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 348
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Walnut

From the color and grain, I'm thinking Walnut. Good looking pen!

ETA:
Compare to this one that I know is: http://www.penturners.org/photos/index.php?n=19622

I believe you are correct. I love the look of this wood and the board is big enough to make about 50 pens. The board is several 1x4s bonded together. If I had to guess, the board has been this way 30+ years.
I'd be tempted to guess walnut just on where you got it and how long you think it's been there. 30 years ago walnut would have been popular for a lot of furniture projects. Glued up board ... top for a end table or night stand....

t001xa22

I got several board feet of dark walnut from southern Illinois about a year ago. Your pen looks just like the stuff I have used. It may be something like this pen I made from this batch of walnut.

Attachments

• Pen 67.jpg
    Pen 67.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 115
Top Bottom