New pen addict!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

duke851

I have a problem but I am okay with it!
About two months ago I found an old calligraphy kit rattling around my workshop, well two months later and many, many, many hours; I have learned passable Copperplate, changed my handwriting to Palmer, discovered the bliss of a nice fountain pen, acquired a wood lathe and done irreparable damage to my bank account at Woodcraft (which just happens to be five minutes away) and had hours of enjoyment in the process.

I bought the lathe as I wanted to try and make a decent oblique holder and so started out making basic dip pens to learn the lathe and a couple of days ago decided it was time to try and make an oblique.
Hardest part was figuring out the nib holder but after looking at a couple I had purchased I decided to try and use the same style as the Buddy Blackwell pens as I like the simple but elegant design. The holder turned out to be fairly easy to make so I did a batch of eight before going on to the pen body itself. My first attempt was okay but needed some tweaking but I was happy with the second one I made. I have attached some pictures and would love to hear some feedback. Blue one is MkI, Green MkII and Black MkIIa.

If anyone is interested I also designed the nib holder using a simple CAD program (DeltaCAD, highly recommend it) and have included a Jpeg of the drawing. I would also be happy to make a step by step if it hasn't already been done. Sizes in cm.

My goal is to make my own fountain pen from scratch something along the lines of a Franklin Christoph Model 19 which I just love.

This forum has been an incredible inspiration and source of knowledge, thank you!

Colin

Attachments

• IMG_2057.jpg
    IMG_2057.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_2156.jpg
    IMG_2156.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_2220.jpg
    IMG_2220.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 839
  • Nib Holder MkII.jpg
    Nib Holder MkII.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 716
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

duke851

Thank you

Thank you for all the kind welcomes. I started tooling up for my first foray into designing and constructing my first fountain pen and am excited to get started. I already own a Prazi lathe and mill for metal working so it shouldn't be too painful. (Famous last words)

Colin

Top Bottom