New Midi DVR Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

David350

Has anyone seen this new midi lathe with a 1.5 HP DVR motor? I have their Galaxy DVR lathe and really like it. It is very quiet and its nice not to have to change belts. I also have their big drill press, the Voyager and love it for the same reasons. You pay a premium price but as far as my experience, both of these tools have been worth it. Just curious if anyone else likes them as well? Not sure how well it will sell at $1,349, but at 143 pounds, that's less that $10 a pound lol...

Nova Neptune Midi DVR

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

Are you trying to pitch it as costing less that beef? 😅

I have an older Nova with belt changing and I'm happy with it. If I ever outgrew it I'd be on to a Oneway or similar.

jttheclockman

I have an older Nova with belt changing and I'm happy with it. If I ever outgrew it I'd be on to a Oneway or similar.
I agree with Pete if I were to spend that much on a midi lathe I am going to a Oneway lathe for sure.

David350

Just highlighting that it seems to be on the high end of cost and weight for a "midi"... :)

KMCloonan

I had a couple of Nova Comet II lathes that were fine. I liked them, except for no digital readout, and replacing the belt was a major undertaking. So I got the Nova 14DR lathe, and have never been so disappointed in a piece of equipment, or a company before. I will NEVER buy from Teknatool again. The lathe you posted the link on says they are still in beta testing and they want their customers to do their testing for them, while also paying $1340 for the honor of doing their work for them. No Thanks.

David350

Kevin, I for one appreciate a company who does some "in-field" testing by real users before releasing a product to production. Having worked for a scientific instruments company for almost 15 years, I can tell you there was more than one instrument released into production that was not as well-designed as it could have been if it had incorporated some real-world testing.

As far as charging for it, I suspect that is being done to ensure that they get people who actually want to be vested into the idea of a product tester. If they provided it for free, they would get all kinds of people who would sign up just to get something for free, vs someone who would actually provide valuable feedback.

Based on my experience in industry, I suspect they have already "beta-tested" the mechanical aspects of this unit and are now seeking feedback on the firmware interface / features, things like is the user interface as intuitive as it can be, could the menus be more streamlined, etc. Once they have the initial product launch firmware version locked down, any person who has purchased a unit under their testing program, can easily upgrade to a full production unit with a simple firmware upgrade...

David350

Kevin, I read your original post on this and I too would be very reluctant to consider purchasing another unit from them if I had the same experience. Fortunately after 4 plus years, I have had no issues on my Galaxy lathe and Voyager drill press from them, however, I haven't had to call their customer service yet either :)

Top Bottom