New membership

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Janet Hobbs

Greetings All,

I just joined IAP and have enjoyed reading the forum, looking at the pictures, and gaining new information. I have turned wood for about 5 years, but it has been an off and on again hobby, since my job requirements often got in the way. Now that I am retired, I have enjoyed returning to the best hobby I have ever had. Penturning is a definite part of it and I am grateful to have found the IAP.

I have 2 questions. Don't know if this is the place to ask them, but here they are.

1. I have recently tried turning acrylic blanks and the odor from this material makes me wonder about the types of precautions that may be necessary to avoid inhaling these fumes. I would appreciate any advice or comments. I do wear a mask and a face shield.

2. A friend of mine just started turning and began with bowls and pens. He uses CA glue as a finish on his pens and it does make a great looking finish. Is the a good finish for pens.

Thank you all for maintaining such an active website. I look forward to learning more from everyone and hopefully contributing as my skill level develops.

Janet

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

Welcome back to the fun. Happy Retirement !!!

You might want to check out the Forum Library. There are many answers to questions already posted. And just by looking, you will get more information then you are looking for.
As far as a finish.....CA is as good as a person makes it. Use whatever you like the most. Have fun.

propencity

Welcome Janet. Mask and shield is fine. Sometimes I'll have a small fan directed to blow away fumes and shavings; especially if finishing with CA. Some people use dust collectors placed next to the lathe.

I started with friction polish, now most of my wood pens are finished in CA/BLO (boiled linseed oil). There is definitely a technique to acquire, including varying speeds, applying wax on the bushings to prevent them from getting stuck on the blank, and other general steps to follow. Check out the online libraries available here.

jedgerton

CA is an excellent finish for pens but the technique may take a little time to master. Also, there are about 10,000 techniques outlined on this forum. My recommendation is to try one or two and if that doesn't work, see if you can find someone in your local area that has found a process that works for them. I struggled for the better part of a year until a local turner offered to show me how he does it.

John

Jim Burr

Banned
Welcome Janet!! Use should always, without exception use the appropriate mask and shield. A dust mask is usless. So is an N95 or P100 unless you have been fit tested by a qualified person. A shield like you see gardeners wear, the flimsy ones...usless. You need something like a Bionic or my personal favorite...a Trend.

walshjp17

Welcome Janet. I retired almost two years ago and took up woodturning about 6 months later. No turning back now! Just wished I had done so earlier. Got into pen turning about a year ago and my retirement has been richer because of it. Hope you enjoy it as much as everyone else here.

76winger

Welcome to the forums and glad you made it to retirement. Sounds like you're on your way to making it an enjoyable one!

Wayne

IAP Library Manager
Staff member
Welcome Janet,

There is a wealth of information here at IAP. Start by reviewing the Library articles. You can also do searches on the Forum and/or Library. Look at the Search tab in the Upper Menu and use "IAP Site Search". You'll find many answers here.

Also Try out the "Visit the Library Menu" link in my signature.

Katya

Welcome from Canada, Janet! Great to see you here. The library is a good idea, and I suggest you join a woodturning guild in your area. It really helps to meet other turners and discuss issues together. And don't forget, as a member here you can check out the "IAP marketplace" and "Vendor catalogues" buttons at the top of the page. Many IAP member stores offer discounts to other members. I've found everyone to be very helpful and friendly.
Cheers
Catherine

Top Bottom