New Members???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I thought at one time I saw a break down of the numbers on new members joining this site but i can not seem to bring it up.

Just curious what the amount of new members is this year compared to last couple years. It seems to me anyway that more members are joining this year than years in the past. With the addition of our new member committee it maybe a good idea to keep these facts.

I do wish all new members a happy stay and hope they are or become long time members like some of us old timers. I like to see them contribute as well as take away the knowledge it takes to learn the skills of turning a pen and other things. Happy turning. :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

I took a quick look and it looks like through September 5 this year we have 1539 new members. Last year through the same date we had 1600 new members so we are actually down a little. No promises on the accuracy of my numbers.

However, what you may be noticing is more new members posting introductions and participating. Edgar has been contacting new members and encouraging them to participate as well as having drawing for the introductions and SOYP entries for new members.

JP and I are now helping Edgar contact new members and encouraging their participation. For August I contacted 78 new members and in the immediate days following 8 of them posted introductions and 2 or 3 posted in SOYP.

We welcome any suggestions on how to build the membership and participation of members.

jttheclockman

Wow

That is over 3000 new members in 2 years. We need to hear new voices. We need to see new ideas. You look at this past contests. The amount of members that played and even the amount of members that took the time to vote. Not even 1% of that 3000 members let alone the members already here for some time.

Now please do not read anything into this post. I just marvel at the amount of people that want to join this site and do so. There are days I come here and the entire front page is made up of hello posts and that thrills me to no end because I know there are going to be some gems in there that will step forward. Maybe not today but down the road. Us old guys are not going to be around here forever. Well maybe some(no names)

My point is I am not sure there are many sites if any that take on new membership as much as this site does. Now with the welcoming committee they have their hands full. Where else can you go and they offer prizes just because you become a new member. What Jeff and the senior members have done here is tremendous.

It is now up to these new members to be heard and step forward and lead us on. New and fresh ideas should come with each passing year. We have a Bash coming up in Feb and it is the biggest event that happens on this site. I hope the participation is up tenfold over last year and with this many new members that is an easy goal to reach. Plenty of time to plan now. If you are a new member and have no idea what this is take some time and read about the past parties. Good times by all.

I would like to collectively welcome all 3000 new members and look forward to reading and sharing. You took the time to join so lets hear what you got and do not be intimidated one bit. the most friendly bunch of knuckleheads you ever want to meet is here. :)

We put out the welcome mat and you stepped on it. There is just so much we can do and now the ball is in your court. Have fun.

Happy turning to all. :)

Last edited:

JimB

John I have made 982 new accounts for here and not won a single welcome award. Just kidding.

Ed - to be eligible for the drawing you need to post an introduction in the Introductions Forum. Just opening an account doesn't do it! I am looking forward to your 982 personalities introducing themselves:).

The second drawing is for new members posting a pen pic in SOYP Forum. I can't wait to see the 982 different pens that match each of the 982 personalities:biggrin:!

jttheclockman

What did you think Ed, you were going to just throw that post out there and not be challenged.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom